Thread: Xbox Music Mixer PC transfer issue solved

1. Yield Xbox Music Mixer PC transfer issue solved

I was browsing www.xbox.com this evening and decided to head over to the Music Mixer forums to see if anyone had gotten the @$#(%& PC Transfer tool to work consistently (or at all in my case). Lo and behold, someone discovered what the issue was. See below:

Quote Originally Posted by danswrath on the xbox.com forums
    After coming to this forum for the last month without getting any answers, I decided to get off my lazy butt and try and figure out what was happening on my own. I pulled out the trusty sniffer and ran a few tests. Here is what I saw happening...
    The XBOX sends out a network broadcast (message to entire subnet) on udp port 3074. If the Music Mixer PC Tool is waiting for a connection, it will reply back by sending a network broadcast on udp port 3074 which lets the XBOX know what IP address the XP machine is using.

The IP packet size that it sends 1353 bytes long. According to my sniffer, the packet my XP machine was sending back was being fragmented. After further investigation, I determined that the MTU setting on my network card was set to 1300 bytes. I don't know why or how it was changed, but I went into the registry and changed it back to the Ethernet standard of 1500 bytes. The interface has to be disabled and re-enabled (or a reboot) to use the new MTU setting. I ran the Music Mixer PC Tool, and it worked!

There is plenty of information on the Internet about changing the MTU, so I'm not going to go into detail here, but here are a few links that may be helpful.

Location in registry...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{XXXXXXX X-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}
    DWORD VALUE = MTU
    Value Data = 1500 (Decimal) - You may want to set this to somewhere between 1400 to 1480 if you have DSL.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks

If you try this, and it works for you, please post a reply to this thread.

Good luck!
    This worked flawlessly for me, and I have NEVER gotten the PC Transfer tool to work with any method. So fellow MM owners, take heart!

2. I've never had any problem with mine. I just made sure my Windows firewall was disabled and that was it. A lot of people I've spoken too were having a heck of a time getting it to work though. I guess I was just lucky.

3. Does this only work with XP? I just bought it today, and if it's not gonna work for me, I'm not even gonna open it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    Does this only work with XP? I just bought it today, and if it's not gonna work for me, I'm not even gonna open it.
    It will only works on XP or Server 2003. Anything lower is a no go.

5. Weak.

I guess I'll return it.

6. Sux for you! Read teh requirements!1!

pwned by lack of technology.