Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free security update cd from microsoft

1. Free security update cd from microsoft

Hey folks.. Microsoft is offering a free cd that has all the security updates for windows through Oct 2003. This is great for those that are still on dialup and those that freshly install Windows on their pc. Get it while its there!

Here's the link:

Microsoft Security Update CD

2. Nice. Thanks for the heads up.
    if ya see a sucker, cut him, don’t like perpetrators
    http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/doktorMott.png

3. Good, no more 30 minute downloads after reformatting. Thanks for the link raystorm.

Thanks. You've just made my job much easier.
    Taking it one day at a time.

5. MS should offer these on a bi-monthly basis. I can see the usefulness for these for many people. Also, I wonder if this comes with like SP1 and whatnot for XP...

6. Everyone should have broadband.

7. You know, I'm still running the base WinXP install on my machine from the original relase of XP. Never have any problems with it.

But then, I never connect it to the internet. And Microsoft doesn't think I actually paid for my copy, anyway, so I can't apply the SP's. It sucks.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    But then, I never connect it to the internet. And Microsoft doesn't think I actually paid for my copy, anyway, so I can't apply the SP's. It sucks.
    That's an old wives tale. Just don't use any of that "active setup" trash (eg; use windows xp sp1a network install (130 some megs) instead of the web install ) and never visit windows update.

9. Oh no, the copy of Windows XP that I bought uses a serial number that is used by people who have pirated. I believe they've programmed that particular number into the SPs because I can't get it installed no matter what. When I called MS they told me that there was no way I purchased it with that serial number because it was a volume license. Now, there's no way I purchased a fucking volume license, but I did have that code. Their solution was to buy a new copy.

Of XP Professional.

So I said, fuck it, and used my "volume license" code on my machine and on anyone else's machine who wants it. I could very easily use the CD that came with my girlfriend's computer, but hers is XP Home with that online activation thing.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You know, I'm still running the base WinXP install on my machine from the original relase of XP. Never have any problems with it.

I wasn't as fortunate. Only reason why I encountered a lot of problems was because I failed to have virus and firewall programs on my system. Which basically could be likened to leaving my front door open for strangers and idiots to come in and do any type of damage to my home.

Now I have XP Pro, with all the security safeguards I can get.

...and yeah, installing XP Pro is no problem, unless you're trying to update your system with the SP1 or 2. Now if there's a way around this, I am all ears.