Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free security update cd from microsoft

1. I received mine a couple days ago, but haven't used it yet. I run on Win98, sadly, so I guess I oughta soon.
    if ya see a sucker, cut him, don’t like perpetrators
    http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/doktorMott.png

Don't be sad you're running win 98. At least you can connect to the web with an unpatched win 98 machine and not worry about being infected by a virus within 5 minutes while you try to get everything patched.
    Taking it one day at a time.

3. WIN98SE respect!
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brotherman
    Don't be sad you're running win 98. At least you can connect to the web with an unpatched win 98 machine and not worry about being infected by a virus within 5 minutes while you try to get everything patched.
    thats why you unplug your net connection and have the blaster fix on a cd already. only an idiot would reformat/reinstall any other way. you DO know you can download and save all the updates to a disc yourself, making this "update" cd completely worthless right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherman
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

This will let you download the XP Service Pack. Anyone who wants to download a service pack for a windows OS should look for the Network Installs. These include the full service packs so you can burn them to CD.
    nm i see that you do

5. anyone want to burn one of these, and send them to me (seeing as they were sent out for free, and everything on them in available for download, I would assume it's fine). I'll be happy to pay for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    thats why you unplug your net connection and have the blaster fix on a cd already. only an idiot would reformat/reinstall any other way. you DO know you can download and save all the updates to a disc yourself, making this "update" cd completely worthless right?

nm i see that you do
    You forgot 1 sinario. User get's new PC with 2000 or XP installed unpatched. They don't have this CD and unless they can download it at a friends place or something they have no way of getting it without risking infection in minutes. This is a very realistic sinario for a causal user and that's even if they bother to be worried about patching it at all. They likely would just get infected without knowing what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Criticom
    anyone want to burn one of these, and send them to me (seeing as they were sent out for free, and everything on them in available for download, I would assume it's fine). I'll be happy to pay for shipping.
    Why not just order the official from MS and pay nothing. It also comes with antivirus and firewall software that you can use for about a year.
    Taking it one day at a time.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brotherman
    Why not just order the official from MS and pay nothing. It also comes with antivirus and firewall software that you can use for about a year.
    Because, it looks like it took about 2 months to get the CD from Microsoft.
    If I got it from someone on here, it's only take a week or two.