Thread: Vagabond

1. Yuck Vagabond

Or: What if you translated and published one of the greatest manga ever, and no one bought it?

But that's about the size of it... anywhere I see Vagabond carried, I rarely see a single copy leave the shelf between visits. It seems as though no one is reading it. As it has quickly become my favorite manga, I must posit the question that has been nagging me so-- Why? It is hands-down the most beatifully and meticulously rendered manga on the market today, it's by one of Japan's most famous and acclaimed manga artists, it's flawlessly translated, packaged well, volumes hit the shelves in a timely manner, and it's competitively priced ($12.95 for volumes 1-4, since they were published before Viz's makeover, and $9.95 for all volumes since (it's on 8 now)).

For those who don't know, it's a manga adaptation by Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk) of Eiji Yoshikawa's "Musashi", a biography of legendary swordmaster Musashi Miyamoto. This was also the basis for the films Samurai I-III. I started reading this to fill in the feudal-Japan-manga void left by Blade of the Immortal's gaping hole in TPB production (Ah, who am I kidding, I'd have picked it up anyway), and became absolutely absorbed. I recently bought the latest BotI collection, and was astounded at how much my standards had gone up from prolonged exposure to Vagabond... Blade, which I once considered to have thoroughly exceptional art, seemed downright lackluster in comparison.

I implore you, please make it a point to seek this manga out. Special order the first volume if you can't find anyone that carries it. You will not regret it. It's inertness on store shelves makes me suffer.

2. Well, I hadn't picked it up since I'm really not into Samurai/Sword type manga. I'm sure the story is great, and the art does look good, but I still don't like Samurai... :/
    Boo, Hiss.

3. I love Samurai/Sword or wandering martial artist type manga and I think I'll be checking this out whenever I come acrosss it. Sounds good.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

4. Just an update, the next few volumes will be coming out monthly until at least vol 12.

March- Vol. 9, April- Vol.10, May- Vol. 11, June- Vol. 12.

I should also have mentioned in the original post that the pages that were originally published in color are also replicated in the collections in color. I can count the number of manga that do that over here on one hand, minus a few digits.

Once again, this is an A+ localization of an A+ manga. Please, please support it.

5. I love Vagabond. I used to be bitter because Inoue would rather work on a "stupid samurai manga" than a sequel to Slam Dunk... but after reading it, I really thing Vagabond is quite possibly one of the best mangas of all time.

The localization is damned fine... far better than the majority of drek out there and much better than all the Shonen Jump titles they release.

And like Bacon said, it's awesome that it's got a very tight release schedule, unlike some other highly acclaimed samurai mangas *cough*BladeOfTheImmortal*cough*...

6. Man, I just went to Japanese bookstore near me the other day, and they had at least 2 copies of every japanese-language volume and about 20 copies or so of the latest, complete with prime location on the store's main encap; and it wasn't even that big a store.

Meanwhile, I'm lucky to find a big chain bookstore that has 3 random volumes of the English version.

;_;