Page 1 of 34 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ

1. The Passion of the Christ

I started this thread to see what you guys had to say about the controversy Mel Gibson's new film has caused...

I personally think that the critisicm about Gibson making the movie to make the Jews look bad is bullshit because the Jews and Romans were the ones who killed Christ. Everyone's acting like this movie is a bad thing. I say if it offends you, DONT GO SEE IT! Its that simple. These damn critics and news people make such a big deal about it because of the graphic violence. It probably was as nasty and graphic as the movie will show or worse. I saw where one person they were talking to on one of teh news channels said that "the Bible didnt say it happened that way". So fucking what. Im sure someone who was writing it, who probably didnt get a first hand account wasnt going to put "and they laid a nail against his hand and with each blow the nail went further into his palm, gushing blood amongst the spectators." I just cant see why everyone seems to care so much.

2. There will never be global unity when it comes to religion, more so than any oher subject, and with so many ideas people are going to fight and bicker like children. That's really as far as the controversy goes. It's just a really pathetic way of saying "someone out there doesn't agree".
    I'm agnostic myself, and I'm seeing the movie opening day. I've always found religious mythology interesting, and Mel seems to really have passion for what he believes in, as well as some talent as a director.
    I hope it's good.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

3. i was watching some show about the movie and the guy who plays Jesus started talking about how he was hit by lightning on set . Everyone saw, but he was fine. It's the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MarsVolta
    I personally think that the critisicm about Gibson making the movie to make the Jews look bad is bullshit because the Jews and Romans were the ones who killed Christ.
    Bingo. Plus, weren't most, if not all, of the original Christians converted Jews? You betcha.
    I've also heard the argument that all portrayals of Christ's "trial" are wrong in that there was never a large crowd, only a few people. Where the hell did this come from, anyway? I don't see any record of how many people showed up anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarsVolta
    Everyone's acting like this movie is a bad thing. I say if it offends you, DONT GO SEE IT! Its that simple.
    Hey! There's some common sense! But, no, wait... this is America... Sorry, doesn't apply. Shame, really.
    These damn critics and news people make such a big deal about it because of the graphic violence. It probably was as nasty and graphic as the movie will show or worse.
    'Cause crucifiction by nailing one on a cross is friggin' bloodless. I guess Mel forgot to plant flowers around the crucifix and to give the Son of Man a lollipop.
    I saw where one person they were talking to on one of teh news channels said that "the Bible didnt say it happened that way". So fucking what. Im sure someone who was writing it, who probably didnt get a first hand account wasnt going to put "and they laid a nail against his hand and with each blow the nail went further into his palm, gushing blood amongst the spectators." I just cant see why everyone seems to care so much.
    Not a single gospel writer witnessed the event. How can anyone tell for sure?

Sorry that all I've done is agree with everything you've posted. Saves me the hassle of trying to come up with a competant post.
    I'm anxiously awaiting this movie, though. It looks to be a pretty damn good representation, and Mel Gibson is a very religious man, so he's not taking this movie too lightly.

5. MarsVolta, dont be dumb, Jewish leaders are upset because the film may spark a new wave of anti-semitism because "Jews killed Jesus". They have voiced their concern over how the Jews are portrayed here. With the world being what it is, and anti-semitic attacks on the rise in certain countries, I think it's a valid concern.

Its not simply about avoiding the movie if it offends you, its about what the wrong/unbalanced people will do after watching it.

6. By the way all the whiners have been acting, you would think that Jesus was bangin' hos' and screaming "HEIL HITLER" every five minutes. A bunch of Jewish religeous leaders had Christ crucified. They were bums that were afraid that Jesus was going to undermine their power. He was bringing God closer to the people. Thats what he was about. If people are so stupid as to think that those idiots that killed Jesus have anything to do with todays Jews, I think that I am going to find the largest rock I can find and then throw it at the world. That will teach em'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

7. Oh my god...the jews had fucked up leaders!!

Welcome to the rest of religion.
    your mom

8. I can't wait to see this movie, it looks pretty good. And with all the controversy, can a movie really be all that good without it?
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

9. This movie is a load of crap.

Those of you who don't understand why this movie is such a joke haven't been keeping up with centuries of pogroms, Passion plays, violence, murder, and the "blood libel."

To think that people are STILL falling for this literal-minded garbage sickens me.

Fuck Mel Gibson and his Nazi father.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. wow, i am totally surprised by the above post, really i am.
    anywho, plan on seeing it on launchday with a bunch of friends, will post a review which may or may not contain punctuation, i have beenlooking foreward to this one as much as rotk even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.