Page 1 of 35 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Punisher

1. Punisher

There's a few different threads on this one, thought I'd make an official one. Main reason for posting-
    http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17056
    For the first time I'm actually interested in this movie. A few more positive reviews and I'll probably see it. The Punisher, to me, is like Blade in that it's a character I don't really care about. So I'll be less critical about the adaptation compared to X-Men, Spider-Man or Hulk. The main thing that interests me is how he describes it as not being like any other comic adaptation yet. I really hope this is true, certain things about Spidey, Hulk, Xmen, Blade and Daredevil overlap and feel the same to me. These movies have to diversify if the film makers want an audience by the time Iron Man or Fantastic Four or Superman finally hits. Personally, I feel there's yet to be a great comic adaptation that's a great film as well. The material is there, it's just been squandered. Two Alan Moore classics, From Hell and League of Extroidenairy Gentlemen have films that don't come near the greatness of the comic, but there's always (at least for me) the hope that something like V For Vendetta or Watchmen (or any other classic from any other author, I know I'm coming off like a Moore fanboy) can be adapted into a movie that'll become a classic, that'll justify all these action flicks with people in spandex. Enough ranting.
    pwned by Ivan

2. The thing that made Blade so great, is that he wasn't as well known in the world of comics so they basacially had free reign with him. They could turn it into an adult film, because most younger kids who read comics probably wouldn't be interested in Blade over something like, say, Spider-Man.

I'm hoping this same mentality is being transferred into The Punisher. Take a few liberties, make an adult action movie, and just keep the basic plot elements (which are, for the most part, Frank's family gets killed by criminals, mafia I think, he becomes a vigilante).

Blade's backstory was just as simple. I've learned the more free reign they are given to work with, the better the film comes out in the end. I have high hopes for The Punisher, and I'm hoping it's just balls to the wall action, resembling the shooting scenes straight out of The Matrix in that there will be a ton of bullets flying (but please no bullet time =/)
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

3. I hope that this version of Punisher turns out well. Most hate Dolph version, but I thought it was entertaining, at least on the action level. Lets hope this will be fun as wel.

I personally like Blade, Punisher and few others more than your standard stable of Spidey, Hulk and the rest, since those are much darker, more adult characters.

4. New trailer !!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...nisherqt1.html

WTF with Desperado/El Mariach guitar references.

Otherwise looks decent.

5. From the looks of the new trailer, a large chunk of the storyline is from the recent Garth Ennis Punisher comics which makes me very very happy.

I now have hopes for this movie.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. It looks better than the last preview for sure, but not completely like the movie described in the review I posted. Feels like all the other comic book movies, and no hint of the supposedly good acting by Travolta. I like Jane more after seeing the new trailer, though.
    pwned by Ivan

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb
    From the looks of the new trailer, a large chunk of the storyline is from the recent Garth Ennis Punisher comics which makes me very very happy.
    Yes, The Russian is in the movie!! I almost started jumping up and down when he showed up. Shit, they even fight in a kitchen like in the comic!

I wonder if Frank will smother The Russian with a large fat man?

Shit, if you read the AICN review, you'll see that Frank even lives in a run-down apartment building and his neighbors are Joan, Bumpo, and Dave! Awesome, maybe Frank WILL do some smothering...

I now have hopes for this movie.
    Me too...this trailer looks 100x better than the last one. It's still set in the wrong location (Florida as opposed to NYC), but otherwise it looks good. Thomas Jane seems to make a good Frank Castle. The dude is pretty jacked.

And AICN review really has me excited now.

Anyone remember the first pic of Jane as the Punisher, and how he looked all puny with a gut and all? Thank god that's not the case.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Yes, The Russian is in the movie!! I almost started jumping up and down when he showed up. Shit, they even fight in a kitchen like in the comic!

I wonder if Frank will smother The Russian with a large fat man?

Shit, if you read the AICN review, you'll see that Frank even lives in a run-down apartment building and his neighbors are Joan, Bumpo, and Dave! Awesome, maybe Frank WILL do some smothering...

Me too...this trailer looks 100x better than the last one. It's still set in the wrong location (Florida as opposed to NYC), but otherwise it looks good. Thomas Jane seems to make a good Frank Castle. The dude is pretty jacked.

And AICN review really has me excited now.

Anyone remember the first pic of Jane as the Punisher, and how he looked all puny with a gut and all? Thank god that's not the case.
    Heh yeah, I still think Thomas Jane looks too friendly looking though.

It's cool they are basing the movie on the "Welcome back Frank" Ennis run since it's funny while still being pretty gruesome.

Florida isn't a very gritty backdrop, it looks too pristine as a setting to his back story, maybe they should have done it in Chicago or Detroit for another area besides NYC(even though NYC was perfect). I wish they didn't use lame generic rock music for the trailer too but it's looking alittle better than before. I hope it's at least on par with Blade.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Despair
    Wasn't that other one you posted quicktime?