Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Gratifying Ending

1. Most Gratifying Ending

Thanks to Prince Planet-

#1 most gratifying ending, the one that felt like the biggest payoff after all the 'work' you put into playing the game. Describe the ending, also, so, SPOILERS ahead, everyone.

For me, Mega Man 2, not because it was particularly difficult, but because it was just so good - the Incredible Hulk thing as Megaman walks through the seasons, unable to find a home, because no one accepts him, and then, finally, after all the walking, you see that he's put down his helmet, and he's found a home, he doesn't have to fight anymore. Beautiful, emotional stuff for a video game, it made everything before it seem like a struggle against evil, not just a job, or something done for fun. The combination of the time I put into the game and the strength of the ending made it the most gratifying ending I've ever seen.

2. I would have to say, Ninja Gaiden. After going through that last stage countless times because of the evil Tecmo designers, to finally finish it and watch that spectacular ending made it all worth it. It was nice and long(well, back then), offered closure, and truly rewarded you for your hard work. Next choice would be Bionic Commando or Megaman 3.

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    Lunar 1 and 2 the first time i saw them on the Sega CD revs. Y's kicked mucho ass as well.

4. Mario 64!

Princess Peach baked me a cake!!

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    god that ending almost made me give up gaming

6. SPOILERS for Valkyrie Profile coming up!

This has been mentioned many times, but Target Earth has an outstanding ending. It is cinematic in the truest, non-cliche sense of the word -- it makes excellent use of montage and sound (watching the victorious Earth fleet fly by, while your character marches in the foreground).

Also outstanding is Valkyrie Profile's A Ending. The whole story is a fascinating Prometheus-style reworking of old Norse mythology with a feminist twist, but the A Ending just puts everything together perfectly. My favorite part: the precise moment when Valkyrie realizes her lost humanity, and in a fit of anguished emotion digs up her own grave to find the earring Lucian had left her.

The most satisfying ending, however, was X-Wing. Watching the Death Star blow up, and receiving the final campaign medal afterwards, made the hours upon hours of frustration spent trying to beat the trench run mission worth it.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. at the end of Contra III, if you beat the game on hard mode, which is close to impossible to do w/ 1 player (i did it!! weee!), you get a nifty little ending, which wasn't the best i've ever seen, but it did sorta reward you for your hard work..
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

8. how about Sonic CD?
    the ending cartoon was awesome. I still clearly remember the race against metal sonic through the loops.

♫ Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boooooooom ♫

9. One of the most gratifying ending I saw was the one from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. It had everything: the battle with Metal Gear D (which was pretty easy), the fistfight with Grey Fox, the final battle with Big Boss and the escape with Holly. Almost everything was later copied in Metal Gear Solid in one way or another. The game even had the "helicopter in the sun" scene that was typical for Konami games at the time. After the credits rolled, you were treated to a brief epilogue that was mostly a joke at the MSX.
    Really good stuff.

The Final Fantasy VI ending was just as good, with the whole cast escaping from Kefka's Tower. And the ending in Link's Awakening was good too, with the fully animated Link and everything.

10. The FMV ending of Sakura Tasien 3 (not the character specific FMVs). After a huge dramatic battle, the coming home was sweet and understated. Makes me smile just thinking about it.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2