Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it that some of the best manga artists only seem to do hentai?

1. Why is it that some of the best manga artists only seem to do hentai?

Example Masamune Shirow:

So much detail wasted on something that really isn't worth reading.

2. Um. Masamune Shirow doesn't "just do hentai".

Have you actually read of his stuff ?

3. Quote Originally Posted by negitoro
    Um. Masamune Shirow doesn't "just do hentai".

Have you actually read of his stuff ?
    What? He does regular manga? PLEASE, the names, NAMES!!

EDIT: I just did a google search on him. He is the guy behind Appleseed? Sorry, about the fuss, since I am crap with names, I tend to go by art and his regular art is nothing like this. What are his later works? He might have just gotten better.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    What? He does regular manga? PLEASE, the names, NAMES!!

Man, you must really suck at Google or looking at the manga racks. Masamune Shirow's only worked on some of the most well-known anime and manga ever. :P

Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Black Magic, Dominion (Tank Police), and Orion come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    EDIT: I just did a google search on him. He is the guy behind Appleseed? Sorry, about the fuss, since I am crap with names, I tend to go by art and his regular art is nothing like this. What are his later works? He might have just gotten better.
    Actually, Shirow's artwork hasn't changed much over the years. He's just a lot more heavily dependent on the computer for his illustration work now, so his pictures look much more "modern" even though his style itself hasn't changed much.

His actual manga artwork still looks pretty much the same as it ever was.

5. How can someone who knows anything about manga not know about Shirow's works? I mean Ghost in the friggin Shell alone (which had a short hentai scene that was cut from the US release btw) is like the most well-known manga ever... I'm flumoxed for the first time in my life.

On topic, I bet a lot do hentai because it sells well. Many popular manga artists got their start in doing doujin to pay for their tablets.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    How can someone who knows anything about manga not know about Shirow's works? I mean Ghost in the friggin Shell alone (which had a short hentai scene that was cut from the US release btw) is like the most well-known manga ever... I'm flumoxed for the first time in my life.

On topic, I bet a lot do hentai because it sells well. Many popular manga artists got their start in doing doujin to pay for their tablets.
    Koshi Rikdo (creator of Excel Saga) is a good example. Also, I thought that hentai scene was cut from all releases of the manga and not just the U.S. one. You have to admit, it is a bit awkward.
    http://www.production-ig.co.jp/anime...es/canti04.gif
    The over imaginative Ninja's fought the rum filled pirates untill battle drew to a close.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    How can someone who knows anything about manga not know about Shirow's works? I mean Ghost in the friggin Shell alone (which had a short hentai scene that was cut from the US release btw) is like the most well-known manga ever... I'm flumoxed for the first time in my life.
    Maybe because I thought that Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell were forgettable.

8. I think that pic you posted is from a poster collection book Shirow put out not too long ago showcasing some of his art over the years.

You thought the ghost in the shell manga was forgetable?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    I think that pic you posted is from a poster collection book Shirow put out not too long ago showcasing some of his art over the years.

You thought the ghost in the shell manga was forgetable?
    Off topic, yes, but your Ban avatar is awesome, Rtifical.
    Mostly 'cause nobody realizes the awesomeness that is GetBackers.

10. 1) Damian, for not knowing how kick ass Shirow is, you are out of the family will.
    2) Getbackers kicks so much ass, you'd think that Ban and Ginji are ninjas or something. Homeless, yet kick ass ninjas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS