Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is it that some of the best manga artists only seem to do hentai?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    I think that pic you posted is from a poster collection book Shirow put out not too long ago showcasing some of his art over the years.

You thought the ghost in the shell manga was forgetable?
    I only saw the anime. That was forgettable. I have no idea about the manga.

2. You obviously don't read a lot of manga or are just getting into it. How anyone could talk about top tier manga artists and not know Shirow's works is a mystery to me. That's like telling me you don't know who Rumiko Takahasi or Jojhi Manabe is.

I doubt you'll ever find it since it's been out of print for awhile, but Appleseed is the manga that put Shirow on American anime fan radar back in the 90's. Ghost in the Shell just expounded on that.

SHIROW GET!! NOW!!

EDIT: Incidentally, Shirow doesn't do hentai (not often anyway) he just likes to draw 'em naked.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Master of 7s
    You obviously don't read a lot of manga or are just getting into it. How anyone could talk about top tier manga artists and not know Shirow's works is a mystery to me. That's like telling me you don't know who Rumiko Takahasi or Jojhi Manabe is.

I doubt you'll ever find it since it's been out of print for awhile, but Appleseed is the manga that put Shirow on American anime fan radar back in the 90's. Ghost in the Shell just expounded on that.

SHIROW GET!! NOW!!

EDIT: Incidentally, Shirow doesn't do hentai (not often anyway) he just likes to draw 'em naked.

No, the problem is that I read too much. There is so much good manga and anime out there, I generally pass up the ones that I think are mediocre. Mostly I like comedy manga or good action manga.

If you like cyber punk manga, you should really have a look at "Freesia".

I supoose I realy should give the manga a try, the manga works of these guys seems do much better than their anime's.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    I only saw the anime. That was forgettable. I have no idea about the manga.
    Yea I didn't care that much for the anime either. The anime is only a tiny tiny fraction of the graphic novel. You'd probably like the manga better, cause it has more action, story, humor and other great bits in it.

One of my fav's is when Kuganagi(however you spell her name) direct brain links with a politician and then makes him punch himself thru a brain hack exploit. Heh its little things like that, that makes it so enjoyable.

(edit) oh yea, Shirow didn't really have much to do with the First anime movie other than having it based on bits of his manga. It was directed by someone else and done by studio Gonzo I think (i'll have to check). So he pretty much left it in others hands like most manga's that get turned into anime's.

5. Mamoru Oshii directed the first film and Production I.G. worked on it. i think they're both working on the next film too.

6. I think Shirow's only done one hentai short, though the name escapes me at the moment. It had tentacles.

7. Dominion Tentacle Police?