Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Crawlers!

1. It is possible to play J2ME java games on a PC interpreter, yes. You'll be playing in a 240x320 window and using your numpad, but if that doesn't bother you, it'll work fine. Mpowerplayer or some such will do the trick.

Cool. I'm one of few remaining people without a cell phone and my wife's phone probably can't run anything decent anyway.

3. You and James can form a club.

My provider (AT&T) doesn't allow me to buy Wolf RPG or Doom RPG for my phone model anyway, for some asinine reason, so I had tried Doom out on the interpreter and later threw them on my phone anyway and realized it worked fine.

They really are the best cell phone java games ever. I know that's not saying much, and they're pretty old-school dungeon crawlers, but they can suck you in for pretty long periods of time, which is saying a lot for a cell phone.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 17 Apr 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    We got The Dark Spire for DS in the other day and I've been staring at it very hard.
    Anyone pick it up yet?
    I'm enjoying it a lot so far, haven't cleared the first floor yet. Very old-school, there is a wireframe mode you can switch to, complete with old-school sprites and music which is cool as shit. The game does not hold your hand at all, and character advancement development is very free-form in that you could learn a new skill, or gain a a class level, etc.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

5. I'm really loving Dark Spire. Any retro dungeon crawler fan should enjoy it. Seems like they put alot of love into the project. It is brutal, hard and unforgiving: just like I like it.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    They really are the best cell phone java games ever. I know that's not saying much, and they're pretty old-school dungeon crawlers, but they can suck you in for pretty long periods of time, which is saying a lot for a cell phone.
    I tried the demos via mpowerplayer and they seem pretty awesome. For some reason I couldn't get the sound to work, though.

7. I play this a bit more last night. The game isn't too far from Wizardry - tales of the forsaken land (ps2); only Dark Spire is more slick. It doesn't have the slow/heavy feel that Wizardry Forsaken had. The music really adds to the atmosphere.

Check out this page with a comparison between the Classic and Normal mode music:
    http://www.success-corp.co.jp/softwa...nload_bgm.html

They even offer print-outs, so you can manually map your characters and the dungeon:
    http://www.success-corp.co.jp/softwa...oad_sheet.html

Official website:
    http://www.atlus.com/darkspire/
    Last edited by dakidski; 20 Apr 2009 at 12:50 AM.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

8. The more you guys talk about that game the more I feel the need to buy it. It's not out over here though - what's a decent place I could get this that ships internationally?
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

9. Raises hand!
    Can't do much of a discount, but if you cant find it anywhere, I can do $30 plus shipping.

10. You don't say? Do you have the ones with the soundtrack? If so I'll take one of those and DQV from you.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.