Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Crawlers!

1. Torneko: The Last Hope.

It's like Rogue, but with DW graphics. Excellent.

2. O.K. here's what you do....

download the Amiga emulator WinUAE. Then download the Kick3.1 or 1.3. Then, find the hard disk game Dungeon Master by FTL. Thank me in about, oh, a week or two It is an AWESOME game!

3. Diablo 2 is the best. I'm burned out on the genre though.

4. Adom/Angband/Nethack rule over all others, I've been playing them for over ten years...

Diablo 2 was/is a lot of fun, but I can't really play it any more. I hope some day they do Diablo 3 (or another game entirely with similar mechanics), and just make it the end all, be all hack and slash game. With proper options (hardcore, character choices, many lands to explore), you could play it for ages. I hoped and prayed PSO3 would be something like this (come on man, multiple worlds to explore!), but ah... that's not quite the case.

For more mindless hack and slash, I'm fond of just about any Gauntlet clone, but BGDA2 left me cold, and I have enough distaste for Everquest in general that CoN wasn't on my to buy list.

I'll second the recommendation for Wizardry. Wizardry 8 on the pc can still be found on store shelves, though it is a bit more of a deep rpg than the others mentioned here. Wizardry on the PS2 is also excellent, and in some ways more 'classic' than Wiz8 is.

Another genre hop would take you over to King's Field - the most recent title on the PS2 is also great fun. They tend to be acquired tastes however, with a fairly slow pace and high difficulty, but very enjoyable. Some amazing environments in the PS2 version, and its one giant explorable land with no loading at all, and a ton of stuff to find and play with.
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact

5. didnt play either diablo(only got a comp that could relatively recently) funny thing is, i know i would like it, due to the presence of paladins, werewolves,a dn martial artists, but i jsut lack the time now. but my fave is hands down heroes of dungeons and dragons, the way you can customize the leveling abilities makes you really able to work into your role in the party, plus what you level can radically affect your play, if you like affects that dont do any or much damage, or you can just get some kick ass finishing moves and melee some fools into oblivion. also you can determine what armor and weaopns yor characters are using, so even the wizard can be a plate mail wearing, spear swinging. jump kicking, melee force, though it you played first edition ad&d this will seem really stupid to you. the camera is a little wonky, but i found both the single player and multi player modes very fun.

in a related story, another satisfying dungeon crawl is final fantasy crystal chronicles. The level designe is far less expansive, but the art and music are breathtaking, and the lack of pre set classes allows for a larger degree of freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

6. Gotta second Wizardry 8. The price is right for such a fabulous RPG. I mean, dungeon hack.

7. Quote Originally Posted by SXA
    Diablo 2 is the best. I'm burned out on the genre though.
    Hear Hear!

Though it was fun messing around and making videos from the single player Diablo 2 and changeing the Dialoge with yourself speaking the parts. I wish I still had those vids.

"I'm a ghost with BOOTS!"
    *gak*
    "Oh you killed me! You can have them!"

or going around with a Barbarian weaking a voodoo looking mask and yelling, "YOU WANT FUCK YOU?!"
    o_O

8. Quote Originally Posted by Victrix
    Adom/Angband/Nethack rule over all others, I've been playing them for over ten years...

Diablo 2 was/is a lot of fun, but I can't really play it any more. I hope some day they do Diablo 3 (or another game entirely with similar mechanics), and just make it the end all, be all hack and slash game. With proper options (hardcore, character choices, many lands to explore), you could play it for ages. I hoped and prayed PSO3 would be something like this (come on man, multiple worlds to explore!), but ah... that's not quite the case.

For more mindless hack and slash, I'm fond of just about any Gauntlet clone, but BGDA2 left me cold, and I have enough distaste for Everquest in general that CoN wasn't on my to buy list.

I'll second the recommendation for Wizardry. Wizardry 8 on the pc can still be found on store shelves, though it is a bit more of a deep rpg than the others mentioned here. Wizardry on the PS2 is also excellent, and in some ways more 'classic' than Wiz8 is.

Another genre hop would take you over to King's Field - the most recent title on the PS2 is also great fun. They tend to be acquired tastes however, with a fairly slow pace and high difficulty, but very enjoyable. Some amazing environments in the PS2 version, and its one giant explorable land with no loading at all, and a ton of stuff to find and play with.

WTF? Are you like my clone. Anyhow if you are going for a roguelike game, I think Adom is the best of those, can be ridiculously addictive until you find youirself somehow die faster than before.

And Victrix can I make a recommendation to you? Track down a game called "Spells of Gold", it should be dirt cheap but it has quite dated graphics(think diablo 1). But the game rocks for any RPG enthusiast and is a must if you like trading elements in a game.

screen:

link to gamespot:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/spell...s_2861231.html

9. Quote Originally Posted by Victrix
    God yes. I need the new KF for PS2. This is one of those series I get a ton of flack for admitting I like, but I enjoy them a good deal.

Eternal Ring was fun too, from my rental. I'd like to own a copy of it someday. It's damn cheap now.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    And Victrix can I make a recommendation to you? Track down a game called "Spells of Gold", it should be dirt cheap but it has quite dated graphics(think diablo 1). But the game rocks for any RPG enthusiast and is a must if you like trading elements in a game.
    Trade elements? *ears perk up*

I'll see if I can dig up a copy.

I suppose Divine Divinity deserves a mention also, while on the subject of diablo-esque games, but something about it left me cold. Hard to quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    This is one of those series I get a ton of flack for admitting I like, but I enjoy them a good deal.
    That's crap, they're really cool games. I suspect a lot of people get a bit turned off by taking three steps (I might even be exaggerating by a step) and falling into lava Still, really cool games.

Curiously, they're also one of the few games to make me jump. Something about the atmosphere really draws me in, and I had several occasions where I turned a corner (or turned around!) and had the crap scared out of me by some unwholesome beasty.

Quote Originally Posted by grave
    Eternal Ring was fun too, from my rental. I'd like to own a copy of it someday. It's damn cheap now.
    I wrote the guide for that, want a copy? I liked that game quite a bit, though it's not nearly as indepth as Ancient City. Also much of the magic is pointless, since you can get through the whole game with only a few spells.
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact