Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Crawlers!

1. Thanks to you weirdo King's Field fans, I've been kinda sorta wanting to give it a chance... despite a certain someone's vociferious protests that it's utter shite. I tooled around in part 4 a bit when it came out and it didn't seem that interesting. Must... resist...

2. I suppose Divine Divinity deserves a mention also, while on the subject of diablo-esque games, but something about it left me cold. Hard to quantify.
    Holy crap, this is starting to scare me.

Anyhow, the biggest problem with DD is how easy it is to "cheese" through the game and I felt that you had to "cheese" your way through. I mean, say you play an archer gameplay is run, back shoot, rinse and repeat. Mage is the same as archer. Warrior freeze, attack and repeat.

It would be an awesome game otherwise. But considering that most of the consists of combat, I just couldn't play it any more.

3. Baroque
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

4. Quote Originally Posted by skelly
    Thanks to you weirdo King's Field fans, I've been kinda sorta wanting to give it a chance... despite a certain someone's vociferious protests that it's utter shite. I tooled around in part 4 a bit when it came out and it didn't seem that interesting. Must... resist...
    I'll put it this way - I could see someone disliking the game because of the gameplay. I can't see someone disliking it because its a bad game. Ancient City is a GOOD game (in some ways a great game, though it has its rough spots, as do most). It has easy to use controls, reasonably challenging combat, cool weapons by the bucketload, some nifty magic spells, lots of goodies to gather, an extremely expansive land to explore, tons of nasty enemies, and a thick, haunting atmosphere.

It is also slow paced, unforgiving of mistakes, and very unfriendly to people who cannot navigate a large (very large!) 3d area by memory. The extreme difficulty is somewhat overstated (though that early death by lava is hilarious, its a trial by fire, hah!). Once you get past the earliest parts of the game, and gain access to more power than what you begin with, really quick deaths to really stupid stuff become more rare (though not entirely eliminated, its part of the charm!). Save points are reasonably frequent however, and the prospect of death around any turn is part of what makes the game so immersive.

Whether you like it or not is something else entirely. Give it a rental, an honest shot, and see if you like it. The rest is idiots (including me) blathering on a message board about how much it sucks or rocks :P
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact

Victrix, I'm still waiting for your Nethack score submission Anyone else that is sitting on a computer, reading this, and hasn't played Diablo, needs to go to the site and play the game. It's 100% free and as large as a 1600x1200 wallpaper .jpg file.

I also consider Vagrant Story as belonging to this genre, not to mention being one of the best among 'em.

6. Tobal 2.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tracer
    Though it was fun messing around and making videos from the single player Diablo 2 and changeing the Dialoge with yourself speaking the parts. I wish I still had those vids.
    I wish I had those too.

8. Diablo series is by far my fave.

Every few months I get the urge to play, I end up reinstalling and pretty much that's all I do for a week.

Good times.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    Holy crap, this is starting to scare me.

Anyhow, the biggest problem with DD is how easy it is to "cheese" through the game and I felt that you had to "cheese" your way through. I mean, say you play an archer gameplay is run, back shoot, rinse and repeat. Mage is the same as archer. Warrior freeze, attack and repeat.

It would be an awesome game otherwise. But considering that most of the consists of combat, I just couldn't play it any more.
    Agree on Divine Divinity. While some things about it were decent, unfortunately it wasnt up to Diablo standard. Once you get more Ranger skills like Explosive or Magic Arrows, just do the routine described above and you will get through most of the enemies in no time. Plus with the help of Metal Scorpions it is even easier.

10. Quote Originally Posted by dog$
    I also consider Vagrant Story as belonging to this genre, not to mention being one of the best among 'em.
    Absolutely.