Page 1 of 26 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Crawlers!

1. Sonic Dungeon Crawlers!

I've only just recently started playing games in this genre. I loved Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and am currently playing through D&D Heroes on Xbox and Record of Lodoss War on DC. I plan to pick up BG: A2, as well as Champions of Norath.

How are the PC Baldur's Gate games? I saw a 2-pack at GS for only $20. I think my PC will run them, but I'm not sure. I was also looking at Dungeon Siege.

Any favorites of the genre? For what other titles should I be on the lookout?

2. I love this genre, and get helplessly addicted to it time and time again. However, I was also extremely spoiled by Blizzard's Diablo series (culminating with Lord of Destruction), and so far nothing has measured up. I had at least 2 fully fleshed-out characters in every class for D2LOD, and always had ideas for more. I eventually sold all my Diablo stuff to break the addiction.

BGDA was great, but I thought BGDA2 was pretty bland. I really liked Champions of Norrath though, flawed as it was. If you can make a game with those aesthetics, but triple (or more) the amount of skills and enemies coming at you at any given time, it would be amazing. The main problem with the console games is that they never give you enough options or diversified enemies attacking you at once, and they never seem to offer significant differences between class strategies, let alone inter-class strategies. Now, CON is certainly a step up, but compared to D2, it's pretty paltry.

Now, if you want to get really old school, dungeon crawlers like NetHack and ADOM are amazing entries, overall a step above the console games but just behind the Diablo series (because, come on, graphics, sound, and real-time play do count for something).

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    How are the PC Baldur's Gate games? I saw a 2-pack at GS for only $20. I think my PC will run them, but I'm not sure. I was also looking at Dungeon Siege.
    The BG games on PC, from what I know, are more traditional RPGs, and less a "dungeon-crawler" (although it's debatable). They're supposed to be great, but I tried them and they weren't my cup of tea. Dungeon Siege was like a 3D Diablo without the elegance of the console entries. I only played the demo, but it seemed like I was fidgeting too much with the interface and camera, and the graphics were a little bland. Probably a fun budget title though.

3. I must admit....

I've never played Diablo.

*Hangs head in shame...

I really need to get into it but don't know where to begin.

4. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    The BG games on PC, from what I know, are more traditional RPGs, and less a "dungeon-crawler" (although it's debatable). They're supposed to be great, but I tried them and they weren't my cup of tea. Dungeon Siege was like a 3D Diablo without the elegance of the console entries. I only played the demo, but it seemed like I was fidgeting too much with the interface and camera, and the graphics were a little bland. Probably a fun budget title though.
    No, no it isn't. I found it for 5 buck sand I asked for a refund. The game becomes this mindless repetitive boring fuck after 15 minutes.

If you don't mind dungeon crawlers the are TURN based, try wizardy for the ps2. It is one of the more underated titles on the PS2, but you never want to go through it a second time.

EDIT: I was talking about Dungeon Siege in the first paragraph.

5. I've been eyeing Wizardry 2, but it's still pretty expensive hereabouts. Turn based, huh? Hmm....

6. Diablo 2 LOD is the best, followed by original Diablo. I can play these games endlessly(just went through the return of LOD addiction last summer).

Dark Alliance 1&2 are pretty good as well.

We currently playing Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, and its a great variation from your usual fantasy setting, and I love it.

Unfortunatelly, Champions of Norrath finally managed to bore me enough for me to finally return the rental back to BB. I will take some rest from the game, and maybe in a month or so will get back to it, to finish it up.

7. Icewind Dale > j00

This genre isn't big enough; and I love it so much. Though for how much I love it, I've never played Diable.

9. Rich and I are in the same boat. I checked today and no copies at my local GS. I'll check EB tomorrow when I pick up Ninja Gaiden.

10. I dunno if it counts, but I likes me the Evolution series on DC.
    Otherwise, the only other game in this subgenre that I've actually enjoyed is Record of Lodoss War... also on Dreamcast. Well, I was enjoying it, up until the level on the last dungeon where damn near everything turns you into stone...