Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zelda: the Movie?

1. Originally posted by Johnny Undaunted

I have to disagree with you. There are several good live-action fantasy films with the most mainstream examples being Lord of the Rings and the Star Wars series (which is NOT Sci-Fi, contrary to popular belief).
    Who are you? The genre guru?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

2. I don't think I could see Zelda being done by Kubrick were he still alive. That doesn't click to me. I say John Millius

ºTracer
    o_O

3. If they made it in the style of Willow it might be good...but still, I'd rather they didn't make a movie out of Zelda.

4. Originally posted by TracerBullet
    I don't think I could see Zelda being done by Kubrick were he still alive. That doesn't click to me. I say John Millius

ºTracer
    I would never in a million years expect Kubrick to do a videogame film, but i think that if he did, it would have been great. thats all im saying

5. Originally posted by burgundy
    Hey!

You beat me to that post!

Personally, I would prefer a well done anime of Zelda. But if you get a good writer/directer combo going, they could pull of a nice live action Zelda also.

6. Originally posted by burgundy
    I don't claim myself to such a title, but I keep tired of hearing that Star Wars is a sci-fi film. There is a difference between sci-fi and fantasy. In a sci-fi (which in case you forgot, is short for science fiction), everything that happens on-screen is usually given a logical scientific explanation behind it, whereas everything that happens in a fantasy film doesn't get an explanation and is usually accepted as magic or part of another supernatural force (in Star Wars case, the Force). Most people has the of mislabelling Star Wars as sci-fi since it takes place in space and has robots and spaceships. But it's a moot point anyway.

7. Someone already said it: if a Zelda based film needs to be made it should be cel-animated or computer generated. At the moment, the latter is more likely, given the decline in traditionally animated films and the glut of CG block-busters.

But notably, the one sci-fi/fantasy entry into that format failed miserably.

By the way, not all science fiction has a "logical scientific explanation" behind it. That would describe the sub-genre, hard sci-fi as in Clark and Asimov. If you cut out all the 'soft sci-fi' films from the industry you'll be left with very few pictures indeed, leaving out for instance all the alien/monster b-movies of the 50's.
    Star Wars itself is a series of sci-fi b-movies, being influenced by everything from Buck Rogers to Dune.

8. I'd be interested to see how they could mess up Zelda. I thought the Mario Bros. movie was pretty inspired with it's dark setting and odd character designs.

I still don't understand why people would like to see movies of their favorite games and comics in the first place. "Man, Crazy Taxi is so fun. I love powersliding and trying to top my high score. Wouldn't it rock if I could pay 9 bucks to watch someone do this on the big screen? I mean, I'd just love to find out what inspires Axel to do this crazy stuff!"

But maybe it's just me...

9. Just give it to David Fincher. That's something I'd LOVE to see
    Boo, Hiss.

10. Originally posted by Johnny Undaunted

I don't claim myself to such a title, but I keep tired of hearing that Star Wars is a sci-fi film. There is a difference between sci-fi and fantasy. In a sci-fi (which in case you forgot, is short for science fiction), everything that happens on-screen is usually given a logical scientific explanation behind it, whereas everything that happens in a fantasy film doesn't get an explanation and is usually accepted as magic or part of another supernatural force (in Star Wars case, the Force). Most people has the of mislabelling Star Wars as sci-fi since it takes place in space and has robots and spaceships. But it's a moot point anyway.
    From www.dictionary.com:

science fiction
    n.
    A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Don't think I need to break that down any farther, but it would appear that Star Wars meets that definition admirably.