Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Shonen monthly's

1. They certainly didn't have the means to get it on stands at your local grocery store, who only carries about 5 each of DC & Marvel's biggest names.
    I did see it in one, actually. I mistakenly took that as a sign that it was doing pretty well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    I hope they still do graphic novels, though. They had some worthwhile liscences.
    Me too. I have the first two volumes of Fist of the Blue Sky, and I want the rest of the series...

3. I actually found it at my local super market when looking for the new shonen jump. That is how I found out about it last month. I find that surprising that I have NEVER seen nor heard of this and I shop at borders, barnes N noble, and a load of other places that carry import magazines and other hard to find items, and I STILL never seen it.

I just think their distribution sucked and advertising was following behind.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4739
    Fuck. It counts graphic novels.
    Now I'm never gonna see Kenshiro retake Shanghai.
    Yeah, I'm pretty burned up about this. My first big disappointment was Raijin emailing me back saying my letter would get printed in the April issue... didn't happen, but some letters they did print covered the gist of what I wanted to say. Good enough. My letter was mostly about the disappointment of them going from weekly to monthly, and how they'll never finish stories in good time with a magazine of that size... and...

Now this.

I love City Hunter, and now that the anime is being released, I can get my fix there, but I love the manga and this is a huge disappointment to me. No more Keiji, no more Fist of the Blue Sky, no more Baki... Dammit! I looked forward to Raijin every week, and now every month, and... well, it sucks, but they're a really small company. I guess it's inevitable. Sucks about the TPBs, too. Did they even finish the color version of Fist of the North Star? Those are awesome.

Sigh. I guess I'll just get the TPBs of the titles that are out, for the first couple issues I missed, and hope they can pick up again someday.

5. City hunter has been out for a long time on VHS and Dvd. I'm sure the manga probably isn't hard to find. Hell I actually know of places to find Baki manga. Maybe groups will resume doing the series raijin did since they are gone now. Come to think of it, I don't think some groups even knew about raijin, when they were doing series hosted by the magazine.

I'd be more pissed if I had started on some of the series and then got left hanging. I go mad like that over Zombie Powder.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    Did they even finish the color version of Fist of the North Star? Those are awesome.
    Looks like they got up to Volume 8 outta who knows how many.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    City hunter has been out for a long time on VHS and Dvd. I'm sure the manga probably isn't hard to find. Hell I actually know of places to find Baki manga. Maybe groups will resume doing the series raijin did since they are gone now. Come to think of it, I don't think some groups even knew about raijin, when they were doing series hosted by the magazine.
    Being so pissed over how much I'll miss the magazine, I totally forgot that was an option... I mean, hell, people still scanslate Naruto even though that's been picked up for a long time. If don't mind, could you PM me or post some links to where I could read some more Baki?

8. mail

I wonder how long they plan on covering DBZ and Yugi oh in shonen jump. They'll probably last forever and never get replaced by something better.

9. They'll run DBZ until it finishes. It's moving along at a great pace right now compared to the show, so it will probably finish in another 18 to 24 months (yeah, I know that seems like a long time). Yugi, I have no idea.

As for Rajin, the biggest problem is a lack of well known manga. I mean, what kid these days hasn't heard of DBZ or Yugi? And the Yugi in the manga is stuff they haven't seen on TV (until this last issue). Rajin didn't really have anything to match that. Add to that the media juggernaut that Viz is versus Rajin, and, well, there wasn't much competition (or advertising). Hell, the free Blue Eyes White Dragon card meant the first issue of SJ sold better than some of the top comics in America. And last, but not least, for the first 9 months or so, Rajin was asking for close to $40 a month if I remember correctly (I think cover price started at $9.95), vs. the $5/month for Jump. I realize you get more of a fix that way, but from a disposable income standpoint, a lot of people go for the 5 bucks.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.