Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Day After Tomorrow

1. The Day After Tomorrow

Check out the trailer here. It's another disaster flick but on a somewhat realistic and talked about premise.

Climatological disruption of gargantuan proportions is ravaging Earth and people are freaking out. Millions of terrified survivors are surging South. But Professor Adrian Hall (Dennis Quaid), a brilliant paleoclimatologist, is going in the other direction. Hall believes that his son, Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal), may still be alive in the frozen wasteland that was once New York City.
    Devastating tornados rip Los Angeles, a massive snowstorm pounds New Delhi; hail the size of grapefruit batters Tokyo; and in New York City, the temperature swings from sweltering to freezing in one day.

2. Looks ho-hum.

CG destruction of cities is cool and all, but if it means having to sit through a Roland Emmerich movie, then I'll wait until cable.

3. The special effects look cool but theres only so far thats gonna take a movie.

The plot has me a bit confused though - Global warming , CHECK , Flooded cities as a result of global warming CHECK , crazy ass tornados plowing through cities, animals going spastic, everything freezing back over Antarctic style, ummmm

4. The world is pretty big man. The weather is different in different parts of the world, so it would make sense that the disasster would be different in parts of the world that are thousands of miles apart. We're talking about a huge global climate change, it's going to fuck shit up.

5. I give it the over-used - meh.

6. This one has me slightly peaked...but pretty much meh. I probably will wind up seeing this in the theatres though, just cause I think it will be better there (some movies just work on a huge screen).
    your mom

7. They should IMAX this piece.

8. This is based on a book called The Coming Global Superstorm, written by Whitney Striber and Art Bell of Coast to Coast AM fame.

The premise may sound contradictory, and it's authors are often willing to quickly support the ridiculous, but reading this NASA article just may make you think twice.

From http://science.nasa.gov/

Here's an excerpt -

"
    Global warming could plunge North America and Western Europe into a deep freeze, possibly within only a few decades.

That's the paradoxical scenario gaining credibility among many climate scientists. The thawing of sea ice covering the Arctic could disturb or even halt large currents in the Atlantic Ocean. Without the vast heat that these ocean currents deliver--comparable to the power generation of a million nuclear power plants--Europe's average temperature would likely drop 5 to 10°C (9 to 18°F), and parts of eastern North America would be chilled somewhat less. Such a dip in temperature would be similar to global average temperatures toward the end of the last ice age roughly 20,000 years ago.
    "

Follow the link above to read the whole article.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

9. For some reason I'm reminded of Deep Impact, Armaggeddon and The Core all wrapped into one. I'll probably end seeing it anyway, if only for the special effects.

10. I was interested when I saw this trailer at the cinemas, right up until they said "from the makers of independence day".