Thread: Xbox head to head with PS2 in Europe

Andy787 Guest

Xbox head to head with PS2 in Europe

After its recent price drop, Xbox is finally making the strides it deserves overseas.

Microsoft reports that there's been a sizeable increase in Xbox sales throughout Europe as customers have enthusiastically embraced the recent price reduction.

Now available in Europe for an estimated street price of €299 ($272 U.S.), the award-winning Xbox is the most powerful video game system on earth. With 40 games currently available in Europe (65 in the U.S.) and more than 150 to be available by Christmas, Xbox is the only video game console designed for the future of gaming with a built-in hard drive and broadband adapter.

Since the European price reduction took effect April 26, weekly sales are running neck-and-neck with PlayStation 2. Based on week-to-week sales since launch, Xbox represents 49% of the next generation console market in the United Kingdom (data from ChartTrack, April 29, 2002), 46% in France and 55% in Germany (data from GfK, May 7, 2002).

"I’m glad that more gamers in Europe are able to experience Xbox for themselves," said Sandy Duncan, vice president, Xbox Europe. "Our strategy is to give outstanding value to as many consumers as possible, and the increased Xbox sales since the price reduction indicate that strategy is on track. The new price allows us to be more competitive and make serious inroads into the hearts of European gamers leading up to Christmas, 2002.

In addition to the new price point, word-of-mouth recommendations and stellar reviews are driving gamers to the great games available on Xbox. With a strong lineup scheduled for the remainder of the 2002 year...pessimisists hoping the Xbox would end up reaching a unfortunate demise will have to save their hurrahs for another day...
    Yes, I'm quoting news, from TNL, in the TNL forum, which has already been posted in a seperate TNL forum. DAMN am I good

Anyway, I'm really happy to see Xbox doing well since it has impressed me most of the next gen consoles

2. w00t! (aka SPAM!)

3. "Award-winning Xbox"? Did I miss something?

So, who exactly wrote this hype, er, press release?

Nice damage control, I admit.

4. Since the European price reduction took effect April 26, weekly sales are running neck-and-neck with PlayStation 2.
    Based on week-to-week sales since launch, Xbox represents 49% of the next generation console market in the United
    Kingdom (data from ChartTrack, April 29, 2002), 46% in France and 55% in Germany (data from GfK, May 7, 2002).
    Isn't that, like, patently impossible? Unless their definition of "next-gen console market" *excludes* the PS2.

Oh, never mind, those figures are for weekly sales, not cumulative. Sneaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

5. It's saying that XBox and PS2 hardware is neck and neck on sales, and that's believable right now given reports I've heard from people working in game shops. How long they can keep that up for though is another question. Good though the XBox software library is, I'm not sure that it has as many games on it that appeal to the average bloke on the street as the PS2 does. At least, not right now.

It's true that the XBox won an award though. The Edge award for Best Hardware Innovation. Not that that's worth anything though.