Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [EDIT]Twin Galaxies legendary players. Even a pic of EGM Publisher at 16 y/o.

[EDIT]Twin Galaxies legendary players. Even a pic of EGM Publisher at 16 y/o.

I was playing out my GBA's Namco Museum's Pole Position for the past few days, turning the games physics and such into a science, eventually beating it and trying for a higher and higher score. That's the beauty of these games.

I wanted to see what the highest score for Pole Position was, for fun...
    As most of you probably know, Twin Galaxies is a world famous arcade who keeps the "official" high scores on a wide range of games. It's where the perfect arcade Pac-Man game was played, and their tournaments make way to insane gaming for thurst of high scores.

If you haven't recently, stop by their site and read some of the news:
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/cgi-perl/breaking_news.pl

They speak of a 2 BILLION high score on NES Pac-Man. And someone who beat Super Mario Brothers for the NES in 5:17, shaving three seconds off the previous record. In one article they speak of a guy in 1984 who played a single Nibbler game for over 44 hours scoring the first high score over 1 Billion.

This is what, to me, gaming is all about. I love that spirit. I must goto Twin Galaxies and soak up the atmosphere. They're having a competition there for a set of 80's arcade games on March 20th. If you want to see some insane stuff, check it out and let us know how it went! Twin Galaxies, best arcade on Earth!

P.S. I scored 56,340 on Namco Museum's Pole Position for the GBA. If it is an arcade emulation, forgetting the fact its on a GBA and not the arcade rig, I would be placed 18th in the world. :P

I gotta play the arcade Pole Position now!

2. Damn, I really wish they had a score listed for Tetris DX on there. I want to know how I compare to other people. Im the only person I know who has broke a million on it.

Ok, I just saw a link to a contest they have in Milwaukee, at the midwest arcade classic. I had no idea this even existed...
    your mom

3. 99,999,999 for Columns on Genesis. That makes me cry... I thought I was tough getting in the singe-digit millions. Crazy site, though.

Yes, this site rocks!

Oh, if you don't see Tetris DX listed, do what I'm doing to get my Namco Museum score submitted. Follow the score submission rules here:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/cgi-perl/submit_scores.pl

Basically you need to sign up for the site, then write the appropriate Twin Galaxie's Official for the gaming platform of the game. Ask him to add the game to the score list, and get a score submission sheet to fill out. Oh you need to either video tape or photograph (photographs arent always taken) your high score according to what the official says. It's a lot of work but they take this stuff seriously and they even publish a gaming world record book with all the scores people submit and such in a timely manner. You can get the book at Barnes & Nobles / Borders / Amazon.

The beauty's in the insanity.

5. This actually has very few games that I am interested in. Alot of jp. arcade vert shmups. Most are not there.

Unfortunatly people found out about Striker 1945 and have since submitted scores. I use to have a HS there (well if I tracked in my head).

If they were not so much I would buy a stupid video camera just to get my name on a few HS boards (I would be the only entry damn it.)

Wow, EGM's founding publisher was a famous old schooler! His pic is on the bottom link.

From Twin Galaxies:
    ------------
    8/26/03 - 20 Years Ago - U.S. National Video Game Team Traveled the Nation
    The first professional video game team took a famous bus tour 20 years ago this month, visiting Dayton, Ohio, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Chicago -- and more, with Washington, DC as the final destination where they issued a proclamation to the Japanese and Italian Embassies, challenging those respective nations to an international video game championship with world-domination set as the prize.

Under the guidance of Twin Galaxies' Walter Day, the team's first captain, the team appeared on many TV newscasts and were written up in countless newspaper stories, including this definitive one published in the Spokeman Review-Journal, August 24, 1983. Of those first team members, Billy Mitchell went on to become the world's most famous video game player and Steve Harris became the founding publisher of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine (EGM). To read their story, go to the Spokeman Review-Journal.
    Go here to read about the Italian Challenge.
    ----------------

Here's the Spokeman Review article:
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/cgi-perl...iew_aug1983.pl

EDIT: You can also win money by setting a Crazy Taxi record this year on Twin Galaxies. Rules and submission stuff can be found on their forum here:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=62

7. One of the Strikers 1945 scores looks bogus. 915,723? He used continues from the looks of it- the game doesn't reset your score when you do.

I wish there were HS entries for Border Down and Giga Wing.. Well, Giga Wing is there- with only ONE entry.

Hmmm, you might want to post on Twin's forums about that strange Strikers 1945 score! It's frequented by Twin officials. While I was there I read a post on the forums from the guy who scored a perfect Pac-Man game. Looks like he's writing a biography book on high scorers.

As it seems on Twin Galaxies, it's mostly records for famous 80s games, but they have high scores for GTA : VC and Crazy Taxi 1-3 and others. If its a recent game and not mainstream, you wont find many scores. :-/

9. Quote Originally Posted by fraggler
    Hmmm, you might want to post on Twin's forums about that strange Strikers 1945 score! It's frequented by Twin officials. While I was there I read a post on the forums from the guy who scored a perfect Pac-Man game. Looks like he's writing a biography book on high scorers.

As it seems on Twin Galaxies, it's mostly records for famous 80s games, but they have high scores for GTA : VC and Crazy Taxi 1-3 and others. If its a recent game and not mainstream, you wont find many scores. :-/
    I'm surprised another recordholder on the game hasn't redflagged him yet. To "challenge" a score you must be a contender on the same game. Still, the highest kosher record of 733,600 doesn't look too bad.

I saw the score for Crisis Zone (3.8M) and I can take that one down easy. 5.1-5.2M is my norm on that game.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shapermc

If they were not so much I would buy a stupid video camera just to get my name on a few HS boards (I would be the only entry damn it.)

You don't need a video camera. Just run it through your VCR using the composite video feeds.