Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Shonen monthly's

1. US Shonen monthly's

Today at the grocery store, I was browsing the magazine aisle looking for the new Shonen Jump. I happened to stumble across another monthly Shonen called Raijin Shonen I think? It seemed more geared to teens and above. It was a little thinner than Shonen Jump but wider and longer. Seemed to maybe have more series in it too. A few I recognized like City Hunter, Grappler Baki, and a few others I didn't recognize.

I was wondering how long has it been out, cause I have never heard or seen it before anywhere....and I usually keep up with this stuff. Seems like this shonen has been out awhile cause all the stories were already started and I think I read volume 40+ on the mag.

Is there any other US shonens out that I should know of?

2. Raijin Shonen
    It's Raijin Comics. Shonen Jump has been for just over a year, and Raijin has presumably been out for several, though I didn't learn about it until the time Shonen Jump was announced. I don't like the mixes of each book much, but it's a whole lot of comics for $5, so I'm not complaining.

Animerica Extra is out there, and I believe Dark House puts out a monthly collection as well(had 3x3 eyes running in it) but I don't remember the title. I've never seen the DH book in a book store, and Animerica Extra I've never seen in a market magazine stand. Only in a place like Virgin Records and the like. I don't read either of those, but they're worth checking out.I think these two top off just under 200 pages a month.

3. Raijin used to kick serious amounts of ass when it was weekly. They knocked this off sometime last year, around the end of last summer. I remember this clearly because the day I found out they went monthly was the day I spun my car out taking a hard turn and after being hassled by cops all day and accused of things I didn't do, I wanted to sit back with the weekly Raijin, only to notice that their cover said... monthly.

I wrote them a long letter, which they had to reduce to 1/4 its original size, since it was bigger than the letters column itself. They told me it'll be appearing in print this year.

But yes, Raijin is still good, though we'll never see these stories end before we die of old age at this slow, slow pace. At least Shonen Jump includes a few volumes of each story a month.

4. OH yea, I forgot about Animerica extra. I've seen it around but it never really appealed to me, since I don't care for X or shojo stuff. I haven't heard or seen the Dark horse one either.

I'd like to start getting Raijin, but I hate jumping into stories.

I wish they would maybe start putting out an evening/adult shonen. I like Shonen Jump for One piece, Naruto, Shaman King and Yu yu, the others I read cause they are there. I'd like to see a mag with stuff like MPD psycho, berserk, blame! and stuff like that...but I doubt that will happen.

5. I'm the same way with Shonen Jump.
    Naruto and Shaman King are very well done and have some damn good plot, One Piece is unique and fun, and Yuyu is classic stuff. Dragon Ball Z is better than the show, but still boring garbage and YuGiOh... again, better than the show, but meh. Hikaru no Go is funny every now and then and, while I hold it in higher regard than the previous two titles, is still crap about a kid learning a game. They should've just published Kenshin in there.
    ...or Zombie Powder.

Damn, I miss SandLand.

6. I doubt anyone will do zombie powder, it got canceled mid-way thru it. It was a cool series and it really pissed me off it got canned. It'd be cool if they would put kubo-tite's other manga Bleach in there.

The new Shonen has a sampler of ultimate muscle and they spell kubo-tite's name backwards in a scene report.

7. Hikaru no Go is funny every now and then and, while I hold it in higher regard than the previous two titles, is still crap about a kid learning a game.

Hikaru no Go is my favorite comic in that mag.

8. Well seems like raijin comics is stopping. They put up a press release talking about how they wanted to "try" out a weekly shonen in the US and then went to monthly. So they have no come to the conclusion that it "won't" work and a bunch of other B.S.

Soon as I find out about the magazine it stops...go figure. If I was a reader of it from the beginning or a subscriber...I'd be pissed.

Heres a little tip for how they can do better. ADVERTISE! how the hell you supposed to know about the magazine when you don't even see it advertised. Also GET BETTER DAMN DISTRIBUTION! Jesus christ it don't take rocket science to know that people won't buy it cause its not on store shelves.

Oh a monthly shonen won't work in the US. I guess we should go inform Shonen Jump that its not working and go ahead and stop press. Morons, I can't believe I'm ranting of a mag I've never read.

9. Well seems like raijin comics is stopping. They put up a press release talking about how they wanted to "try" out a weekly shonen in the US and then went to monthly. So they have no come to the conclusion that it "won't" work and a bunch of other B.S.
    All companies aren't made of money. They tried it one way, no one bought it, they tried it another way, no one bought it, so now they hang up the towel. They hung it out there for a long time, and all that happened was them hemorrhaging money. Quite honestly, it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. More people probably bought GameGo than any issue of Raijin, and that never even went beyond the first issue, while Raijin lasted a year or more.

And I'm sure they made a valiant attempt to get the mag on shelves. I'd seen it at B&N and Borders on occasion, and that's as far as most mags get, really. They certainly didn't have the means to get it on stands at your local grocery store, who only carries about 5 each of DC & Marvel's biggest names. And maybe Shonen Jump, but I'm sure that's because it has teh DBZ and Yu Gi Oh. If you don't have a title everyone recognizes, your mag isn't gonna be hangin' out at Publix.

I hope they still do graphic novels, though. They had some worthwhile liscences.

10. I've never heard of this nor have I ever seen a copy, so the distribution/advertising couldn't have been that much. Shame, really, as I'd probably buy it religiously like I do Shounen Jump.

Oh well.