Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Life After the Video Game Crash"

1. "Life After the Video Game Crash"

From the oft visited Slashdot

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/crash.html

Excerpts,

Quote Originally Posted by Link
    It's the same reason. The novelty wore off.

You see, there was a video game industry apocalypse once before, in the early 80's. The market was flushed down the toilet by a putrid swirl of bad Atari games, players realizing that Hot Dog Maze was just Pac-Man with different colors. They didn't abandon the Atari 2600 in favor of something better. They abandoned it in favor of not playing video games.

The same went for the Next Big Thing, the aforementioned NES. Even with the enormous number of games (Metroid delayed my discovering girls for a for a good 18 months), the gaming experience itself couldn't keep our interest for more than a few years. Interest in gaming only picked up again when new, fancier systems arrived, offering a new and novel experience thanks to prettier graphics and character animation. And yet those systems (the Sega Genesis and later the SNES), as great as they were, eventually were retired to closets and attics and the sandy carpets of the Pakistani black market.

Legend has it that a meeting was held, sometime in the 80's, where the gaming industry first realized that gamers simply would not continue their hobby without a constantly-changing game format. Tears were shed, Japanese curses called down, ceremonial suicide swords drawn.
    It's an interesting read and raises some issues that are pretty obvious. I wouldn't say the quality of games has degraded to a pre-NES state yet thanks to a few gems which make it all worth while, and I'd even say that game quality and innovation has been fairly steady for quite awhile.

Also seems to be Pro-Nintendo and the "games, games and only games" attitude. Take that as you will.

2. I have been saying that the videogame industry was gonna crash for years and I got flamed every time. I can only imagine what this thread is gonna degrade into.

3. Compare Madden NFL 2001 to Madden 2004. You have to squint to tell the difference.
    I stopped reading right there. Dude's a moron for more reasons than one.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    I have been saying that the videogame industry was gonna crash for years and I got flamed every time. I can only imagine what this thread is gonna degrade into.
    I agree. Games drop price in about 1-2 months of being out now, this is just a sign.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    I agree. Games drop price in about 1-2 months of being out now, this is just a sign.
    Just because the market is over-saturated, doesn't mean it's on the verge of a crash.

Just going on that quote (didn't look at the link yet) I disagree with how it describes the NES/post-NES gaming environment. We were still up to our necks in great games when those Golden Axe commercials started playing and making our NES's look dated. We still loved our NES's. It was only then that we realized it could get better. There was no real down time between the NES, Genesis, SNES, PS1. And people can talk till they're blue in the face about the degradation of games and gaming year-over-year, but there's been plenty of great games to play from the end 1985 til now. Will it ever crash again like '83? I doubt it.

It will change, but it won't crash. Only Nintendo thinks so and what they are really saying is "We, Nintendo are in crisis we have no idea how to design games with current technology, we are doomed" they just can't accept any failings or responisibility so they project it.

History repeats itself. Learn from the past.

9. If you agree that the crash in the eighties eventually led to better games, I can only hope that a videogame industry crash is imminent. But, it better not fucking do it when I hope to join it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Videodrone
    Just because the market is over-saturated, doesn't mean it's on the verge of a crash.
    Isn't this what happened the first time? The market got over-saturated on games, prices dropped super fast, nobody made any money and then BAM!, the crash.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)