Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rising Stars of Manga

1. Quote Originally Posted by SHiNgO
    I always wanted to enter, but I can never come up with a descent 20 page stand alone story. Maybe someone can help me out a little for the next contest hehe. I'm mostly into fantasy type setting or something that takes place in modern times and include magic.
    Heh, exact same problem. All my ideas end up being too long. I think the shortest thing I could do... and that would be worth doing... would be 40+ pages. Actually, I just remembered a short idea, but it's centered around a car chase and there's no way my skills are up for that.

Magic in modern times... I had an idea that might be crammed into 20 pages. Bascially involves this cafe that captures spirits of deal animals and supernatural creatures and infuses them into the meal, that provides benefits for people who are born with the ability to use magic. For mundanes though there's no effect. The main spirit catcher who works for the place is a mundane boy who wants to be a mage. Then he hears of a legendary spirit that can be combined into a special feast to turn a mundane into a mage. He ends up traveling with the daughter of the boss of the cafe. Her personality and powers change with the vibes of the people around her, so if there are nice people around she's all sweet and angelic, but if she's surrounded by evil people she becomes a goddess of destruction. The setting would basically be like the modern world only with mystical elements. It's an idea I haven't fleshed out much yet.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. Seriously, I'd be up for partnering with somebody who can draw to put together an entry. It's what, 10 pages or so? I could knock out a storyline for that no problem.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    It's what, 10 pages or so? I could knock out a storyline for that no problem.
    It's 15 pages min, 20 pages max. Mine wound up being 18, up from my original estimate of 15.

Personally, I wouldn't want to draw someone else's story. I'm the type that likes to write, pencil, ink, and letter all by myself. I like to have full control over everything.

As for my story, it's actually a sort of prequel to a larger story arc that I've been kicking around for a while. I just decided that, if by the slim chance that I actually win and can pitch a full-length story to Tokyopop, this is the story I would like to do.

Weird, I figured that I'd be all relaxed once I finished the thing and sent it out, and I am in a way, but I'm also nervous as to what the outcome of my submission will be. The rules state that the winners will be notified by phone and/or email, but they don't say by when. A full list of the winners will be posted on the Tokyopop site on May 1st.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Seriously, I'd be up for partnering with somebody who can draw to put together an entry. It's what, 10 pages or so? I could knock out a storyline for that no problem.
    Maybe you should check your PM box.

5. Well, here's a small comfort for me- I just checked the tracking info on the U.S. Post Office's web site, and my package was delivered, so I don't have to worry about it getting lost in the mail at least...

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Haven't heard if I placed or not yet, but I have gotten a couple of emails from an editor in Tokyopop's original Manga department, saying that he's reviewed my entry and thought it "showed promise" and "had potential" and was "such that they wanted to give me detailed feedback as soon as they had time". I've been invited to a portfolio review in NYC this Saturday (4/24) that Tokyopop's doing at Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (http://www.moccany.com). I don't think it has anything to do with being hired for anything, it's just a good chance for some detailed face-to-face feedback from some industry professionsals. Should be fun, I didn't even know there was a Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in NYC.

7. If someone writes, I'll draw.

My storylines tend to be fragmented. =|
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I'm actually a long time friend of Lindsay, who did the "Peach Fun" story that won in the most recent book.
    You mean this chick?

And Hero, your sig speaks the truth, my brother.

9. Dole wants to pimp her. for the sex and for the art. it's a win-win situation.

10. Dole~ All I can say is good luck, and win or not, it's the fact that you worked so hard and pushed to get this done that should be the important thing to take away from the experience. But I bet you knew that ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.