Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rising Stars of Manga

1. I'm not all about the pimping game, Ashen.

However, I'm always looking for hopefuls.

Here's the page listing all the winners from Vol. 2. Hey, we have a NY girl in there, Ashen...
    http://www.tokyopop.com/news/mangata...st_winners.php

Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    Dole~ All I can say is good luck, and win or not, it's the fact that you worked so hard and pushed to get this done that should be the important thing to take away from the experience. But I bet you knew that ^^
    Thanks Hero.

Well, I'm happy that I got this done, win or not. I'm proud of my story, and the fact that I proved to myself that I can buckle down and churn out such an involved project in such a short amount of time. The experience was well worth it. As soon as I hear anything else I'll post it.

Maybe I'll take a few pics of the museum and post them if there's anything cool there.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. When I get a chance maybe I'll scan a few panels and show you what I submitted.
    =\

3. Post your story Dole.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    If someone writes, I'll draw.

My storylines tend to be fragmented. =|
    If you write a premise and do some designs to build from, I'd be willing to fill in the details, storywise. That way it would suit your style and be something you want to draw instead of some shared project that would only become a burden to you.

Stories are easy, drawing is... like stabbing yourself in the eyes with broken glass dipped in kerosene. Or at least it feels that way when it's made painfully clear how much I still need to learn.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    =\
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine
    Post your story Dole.
    Oh, right, forgot about that. I'll try to bring some stuff to work tomorrow and scan it. I'm not scanning and posting 18 pages, however. Sorry!

I penciled/painted a pic of the main character from my entry a while back...maybe I'll bring that in and post it.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    Stories are easy
    That mindset is why so many fancomic storylines blow chunks...

7. I believe this news.

8. Quote Originally Posted by CynicalSphere
    That mindset is why so many fancomic storylines blow chunks...
    I was speaking more of the time investment and the sheer amount of actual effort, actually. A fancomic storyline should be a little harder because you're working in a fixed universe that you're not supposed to change, but most completely ignore this restriction and end up sucking because of it. I was also talking of my own personal experience, which would obviously be different for someone else who finds drawing easy.

To me, a story is more about the details than anything else and in a comic most of those details are visual and therefore up to the artist. The writer pens the dialogue and writes a description of the scene, but it's up to the artist to really bring that to life. Unlike writing a story, where every single detail is up to the words the author chooses.

Maybe I should save writing is deceptively easy because it might make people think they can write just about anything, but just like there are certain guidelines a artist has to follow to drawing a nose or eyes so they'll be recognized as such, so is there conventions a writer must be aware of to construct a decent narrative. Though once you know the rules, it only takes some imagination and a little time. At least for me. Where drawing takes a very visually oriented imagination and lots and lots of time.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. I'm getting nervous...I'm hearing that people who have been rejected are already getting their rejection certificates in the mail (at least Tokyopop informs you if you tank, I was wondering about that). I also hear that if you haven't heard anything by now, there's a chance you're in the running. I'm not putting much faith in that, since I could get home from work today to find a rejection slip in my mailbox, but we'll see...

But even if I do place, I also hear that you're not allowed to publicly say so until Tokyopop makes the official statement on their site. So, even if I do place, I might not be able to say so until then. But I'll worry about that when and if the time comes.

I've been fine up until this point, but it's getting near the end and like I said, I'm getting nervous.

Also, even if you don't win the grand prize, you can still get a book deal out of the contest. The second place winner in vol. 1 ("Van Von Hunter" or something like that) has a graphic novel in the works. And Shidoshi's friend, the grand prize winner in vol. 2 ("Peach Fuzz") also has one coming out.

I'm pretty excited. I've been working on my idea to pitch to Tokyopop in case they're interested (a continuation of my entry story), and I've also been working on my next entry (sort of a sci-fi action/horror story) in case this one bombs.

10. Why do I always never see these until way too late? Wonder when the next one will be...
    But even if I do place, I also hear that you're not allowed to publicly say so until Tokyopop makes the official statement on their site. So, even if I do place, I might not be able to say so until then. But I'll worry about that when and if the time comes.
    Yeah, way to hide your win. You already know.