Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check This Site Out - Spiderman and Blade 2 on DVD

1. Check This Site Out - Spiderman and Blade 2 on DVD

Here is the link:

www.why_would_you_post_this_.???

Piracy running wild.

2. Report the site to the IDSA, and keep the link off TNL.

I have waited decades for a good Spider-Man movie, so I do not want to help anyone get easy access to a bootleg.

Support you local wall-crawler.

3. *cheers for Nick*

4. Yeah I know Nick already said something.. but he's been posting these pirate links on the anime board for a while and it's kind of grating on me, so I'm gonna say what's on my mind...

To Despair:
    Dude.. no offense, but why? It's not going to be a very good disc. It's gonna be someone in an HK cinema who smuggled in a camcorder and set it up in the theater to record the film. These things are not new, and they're not quality. They're cheap stolen goods.

Quit posting your damn pirate links. Support the R1 market, even if you have to wait 3 months for it.

5. Well, I only posted the link, to show that that pirate sied existed, ok. Not like I care to support them, and buy their copies.

But about other links, you dont like them, dont read them. But I'm not gonna sit and patiently wait till US company decide to release that Anime, or if they even do that. But once US version comes along, I always buy it, if I liked if ofcourse. So I dont see a problem with telling the people about this.

6. Originally posted by Despair
    Well, I only posted the link, to show that that pirate sied existed, ok. Not like I care to support them, and buy their copies.

But about other links, you dont like them, dont read them. But I'm not gonna sit and patiently wait till US company decide to release that Anime, or if they even do that. But once US version comes along, I always buy it, if I liked if ofcourse. So I dont see a problem with telling the people about this.
    I wasn't aware that such links were being posted on the anime board, but now that it's been brought to my attention (note to Lhdatt, things which bother you like this could be reported); I ask that you discontinue anymore links of pirated nature.

Originally posted in Forum Guidelines...

We adhere to all U.S. federal laws regarding hate speech, software piracy, Internet privacy, and other relevant areas.
    This would include posting links to accessing pirated media...

Telling people 'well don't read them' is not the solution, especially since there is a prohibition on them. And hopefully you can understand this or at least respect our standpoint. Give us the courtesy that we've even taken the time to provide an explanation, other boards wouldn't even give this matter the time of day and just take action according to remove the "offense".

Even though you may not be supporting them, posting the links makes you an accessory to piracy for using the boards to advertise their availability to others.

7. Well,I dont think posting links to respectfull online sellers that have HK Anime dvds in their inventory that are not of official releases, but also carry majority of official DVDs is mean to support piracy or provide people the easy choices to get pirated goods. Plus one of the links Lhadat(SP?) pointed out wasnt posted by me in the first place, but he was fast to jump into that thread and started with accusations.

When I do reviews and impressions about fan subbs of Anime either on dvd or vcds, I dont post links to where I got them from, usually say Ebay, and thatsd the place as everyone knows.

8. Despair:
    I apologize if my memory is faulty, however I seem to recall you posted at least one link to a site selling mainly pirated discs. I'm not going to bother searching though, since I'm on a 28.8k connection and the forums are turtle-slow for me as-is. Not all of my anti-pirate rants have been directed at you, and I believe it's important to keep in mind that while I may seem too forward and maybe antagonistic, I'm just trying to get this stopped as I believe it has negative impact on the TNL community. I'm not attacking you.

I do not consider people who sell DVDs that are not "official" releases to be reputable retailers. Official releases are released by the company holding the rights to put out that DVD. Anyone else who puts out that same content is in violation of the copyright of the rights-holder. This is how is works world-wide due to the Burne Convention, aka international copyright law. There are some cases in which it is alright in my opinion to disregard the US rights-holder (like Eva movies), but those are special circumstances (usually related to the black hole that is Manga Ent.) and should not apply to things that have been announced for prompt US release. If you don't care to spend $25 on a R1 DVD or wait a few months for it to come out over here, go buy the R2s and pay more for less content per disc. That's really the only option in terms of anime. For Spiderman, go see it in the theaters as many times as you can and then buy the special edition DVD in September or October for $15. I do not see anything wrong in reviewing titles based on non-offical releases, however what you see there may be different than the more accurate translations and dubbing on the R1 discs.

The following is just my opinion, I'm not speaking on behalf of the admins or anything -- I've just seen this happen a few times.

The fact of the matter is TNL is not a garage-enterprise fansite. It's a legitimate gaming site just like IGN, and that's how it's treated by game companies, industry people and lawyers. If one of the rights-holders of any of the things pirate links were posted for was in a bad mood, they could easily notify their lawyers of the thread containing the link and said lawyer could send a frivolous lawsuit threat to the site admins demanding the thread being taken down, the poster's account be deleted, etc. Yeah that's extreme and might not happen, but TNL is responsible for the content in the forums because it's on the TNL site. If I showed some of the stuff on these forums to a friend of mine who also happens to be a law student AND an ADV employee, he'd say more or less the same thing. This is why threads about bootlegs are locked on places like animeondvd.com -- they don't wish to piss off the legit rights-holders because they know they'd be shut down in a flash if they let it go on.

Again, the preceeding is just my opinion. Feel free to debate.

9. zzzzzz.... Oh no, some jerk off loses 3.3462 cents, assuming it's something even availible in stores (fansubs were mentioned, and nothing is lost by them being 'pirated').

10. Re: Check This Site Out - Spiderman and Blade 2 on DVD

Originally posted by Despair
    Here is the link:

www.why_would_you_post_this_.???

Piracy running wild.
    It's amazing how much piracy is out there and people don't even realize it. I was at the Wizard World Convention East in Philly this past weekend and one of the largest booths was a bootleg video stand. Hell they had Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD + Blade 2 and tons of other movies and people were buying them without even thinking twice about it. I was really surprised that Wizard allowed them to do that.

The difficult thing is where do you draw the line at bootlegging? What about the stands that have impossible-to-find old cartoons and Japanese movies that aren't available to the U.S.-- would buying these be considered supporting bootlegging as well?

I just raise the point because there always aren't clear-cut cases as with Spiderman-- sure that's not right to buy, but here's an example: I bought the Japanese film "Versus" from that stand on tape. Now it isn't available in the U.S. or importable because of region codes-- should I consider myself a supporter of bootlegging?
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"