Thread: Sega 32X Questions

1. Sega 32X Questions

I recently picked up a 32X from Icepick, but we couldn't locate the hookups.

1. What kind of wires do I need to hook this thing up, and where can I find them?

2. Will this thing work with a CDX? Seems to fit, but I can't tell without testing it.

3. Any way to mod it for S-video? If so, will the Genesis it's attached to output S-video as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

2. 1. You can find 32X hookups here. The Genesis 1 needs a funky converter cable in the mix, but I'm not sure later models do. Sorry to be so vague -- it's really an annoying system to hook up, and my memory's not 100%.

2. It works with a CDX, though you may have to remove the lower half of the 32X's plastic shell. Search rec.games.video.sega on Google Groups to find out specifics.

3. Not that I know of. Like Genesis, it does support RGB, thankfully.

3. Quote Originally Posted by skelly

I have seen that it supports rgb like skelly said, but I've not see any s-video support.

4. I wish the hookup from the back was the same as saturn, then the cable tones sent me could be put to some good use.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

5. Quote Originally Posted by skelly
    1. You can find 32X hookups here. The Genesis 1 needs a funky converter cable in the mix, but I'm not sure later models do. Sorry to be so vague -- it's really an annoying system to hook up, and my memory's not 100%.

2. It works with a CDX, though you may have to remove the lower half of the 32X's plastic shell. Search rec.games.video.sega on Google Groups to find out specifics.

HAH! I found the thread you posted five years ago!

Looks like the 32X fits in the CDX slot perfectly. The thing is that I don't want to blow $15-20 for a cable on a $5 dollar system. Some docs tell me I just need a male mini-DIN to mini-DIN cable to run between the Genesis/CDX and 32X....can I get this from Radio Shack or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

6. I remember hearing a long time ago that there were possible heat issues when using the 32x with the cdx- and thats why sega didn't officially say it was compatible.

Oh, I could be completely wrong by the way.

7. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy
    HAH! I found the thread you posted five years ago!

Looks like the 32X fits in the CDX slot perfectly. The thing is that I don't want to blow $15-20 for a cable on a $5 dollar system. Some docs tell me I just need a male mini-DIN to mini-DIN cable to run between the Genesis/CDX and 32X....can I get this from Radio Shack or something?
    Nope - it's pretty specific so it's best to try digging up one of the official ones. The Genny does use the same type of connector as some old PC bus mice, but cables for those are often missing a pin and the wire they use has too much resistance.

If you're handy with that sort if thing, it is possible to make your own but the parts + shipping will cost more than the cable would if you're only buying enough for one.

*edit* - I don't see the cable you need on Sega-Parts' website. It might be a good idea to phone them up and check just to be sure.