Thread: Looking to buy a HDTV

1. Looking to buy a HDTV

I have been looking for a large screen (42 or higher) television. I've noticed most are 480i, 480p and 1080i, except for more expensive sets. I will be mainly watch movies via dvd and sports. I as will watch some tv (2-3 hours/day at the most) and do some gaming, though it is not planned to be my main gaming set (ask the wife ). Am I missing out by not paying more for a tv that has 720p? If I am can anybody suggest a decient affordable set (between 42-48 is fine)

I did like the look of this Samsung 42 plama. I know it ed and hd. but astetically looks alot nicer. this is it's $2999 and I would like to stay under $1999.

Thx in advance.

2. There is a 40 inch direct view sony XBR I saw that has unbeleiveable picture. I don't know if you are willing to compromise 2 inches, but the picture quality is so much better.

If having the thin TV for looks or space is the first priority then go for it, but you will get more performance and value out of a direct view.

3. This is the TV the drunkhog speaks of. It's the largest direct view set you can buy.

We purchased one at work, and I would not describe the picture as unbelievable. It's more like adequate. Like many other users of this set, we noticed a green tint in one corner. The geometry has some annoying issues too, but to be fair the set was never ISF calibrated.

The biggest strike against this set is probably its sheer weight ... over 300 pounds. I think this makes it impractical for many.

I do endorse the idea of getting a big 4:3 set, though; assuming it has a 16:9 "squeeze" mode for viewing widescreen content (as this set does), you can get the best of both worlds during this time of transition: big 4:3, and decent 16:9.

Personally, I'm looking at DLP and that new Intel LCOS stuff when it comes time to buy a TV later this year. Two direct views I've bought in a row have had seemingly incurable geometry / warping problems, so I'm probably done with them.

4. 300lbs that crazy. I had a 32" Sony that weight in at ~170lbs and I thought that was rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic the Drunkhog
    There is a 40 inch direct view sony XBR I saw that has unbeleiveable picture. I don't know if you are willing to compromise 2 inches, but the picture quality is so much better.

If having the thin TV for looks or space is the first priority then go for it, but you will get more performance and value out of a direct view.
    If I was looking at going between that direct view and a CRT for $1000 less w/o 720p, is the direct view still going to be the best value? I can get the
    Mitsubishi WS-48413 for $1399 this week from a local electronic chain. I know it isn't to greatest tv, but it's $1,000. I guess, I really wonder what I'm lossing w/o 720p?