Thread: Calibrating my HDTV to fix issues...

1. Calibrating my HDTV to fix issues...

I know a few of you on these boards are very knowledgeable in the area of video calibration. The problem I am having is: my 27 inch Zenith HDTV has ghosting problems that are most noticeable when using the the HDTV and VGA (labeled RGB) inputs.

Basically I see a really bright clean image, that has a ghost or silhouette effect to it. Most noticeable on games that have still images, like menu bars, or for instance the bathing suits in Dead or Alive XBV, I first noticed it here, in the shops, and then I started to notice it all over games and then on my DVDs as well...I've tried multiple devices and inputs, so I do think it is a TV problem rather than a cables/connection problem.

Now it is noticeable to me, but isn't that bad overall, but something I want to fix. I need to nail down what this is? A sync problem? Convergence? I don't know all the terms so please enlighten me.

My questions are -- first off I have an extended warranty with Circuit City, so my first step is to call them to try and fix it on site, but I am afraid that they may send a repair man and not a calibrator and that things may get more messed up once he/she starts fiddling inside...

Do the video essential/AVIA DVD calibration discs address this issue?

I don't think I can afford professional calibration right now, plus the set only cost 600 bucks.

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

ssb
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

2. i have an avia calibrating disc. it basically walks you thru getting your tv color and everything else levels to industry standards (which just by eyeballing and personal preference before even using the disc, my tv was just about spot on). but these discs only help you make adjustments, and the ghosting, while it may be contrast out of whack, could be something much worse and need fixing. you also need blue, red and green plastic sheets to calibrate the proper color channels (which i assume you get when you actually BUY the disc). but like i said, while it MAY be a contrast issue (or something to that effect, too much white level) it could be worse.

3. My first thought is that this is an issue best posted at the all new "Circuit Board"! Find it on the Sound Off page. That's where all the brainiacs are hangin out these days

Pa

4. Could be nothing more than interferance with the video wires. Try moving the video wires away from all power cords, useing shorter video wires, or using video wires with better shielding. Are you using any kind of splitter/switcher to get more inputs on your TV? That could be another culprit.

If that's not it, try turning down your contrast (could possibly be labled as "picture").

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    Could be nothing more than interferance with the video wires. Try moving the video wires away from all power cords, useing shorter video wires, or using video wires with better shielding. Are you using any kind of splitter/switcher to get more inputs on your TV? That could be another culprit.

If that's not it, try turning down your contrast (could possibly be labled as "picture").
    Hmmm...I'll look into it...I do have my wiring close to my power cables, but the cables are direct connect, for instance my custom VGA cable by Matt, goes right into the VGA plug and the picture is very good IMO, but there is the ghosting and I notice it on all inputs and devices, so I am inclined to think that the TV just needs some calibration...but i'll try messing with the wires and getting things cleaned up back there...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

6. i have an HDTV-related question for you guys:

Does the quality of component cables matter?

My gamecube and its nintendo-brand component cables give an unbelievably crisp and stunning image on my HDTV..

on the other hand, my off-brand xbox component cables seem to be merely adequate (sp?)...

should i ditch those xbox cables and get me some more expensive cables or doesn't it matter?
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

7. ive always wondered the same thing but from what ive heard monster cables are just overpriced and overhyped. i didnt even buy the SONY brand component cables for $30 (monster are like $60) . instead i bought some off brand for $10 and from what i can tell the picture is great, i cant complain. i also bought some $10 s-video cables fro my gamecube (i WISH i had 2 component in's!) and it looks way better than the standard composite. would it be better with more expensive cables? i can say since ive always bought cheap.

8. Quote Originally Posted by johnk_
    i have an HDTV-related question for you guys:

Does the quality of component cables matter?

My gamecube and its nintendo-brand component cables give an unbelievably crisp and stunning image on my HDTV..

on the other hand, my off-brand xbox component cables seem to be merely adequate (sp?)...

should i ditch those xbox cables and get me some more expensive cables or doesn't it matter?
    After a certain point improvements in cable quality isn't too noticeable...you'd need a lot of interference going on for monster cables or their equivalents to actually be necessary. At least when using an HDTV decoder, I noticed that the monster cables did look a little better than the thick cables that Time Warner gave me, but not $50 better. If you really think something is wrong with your cables then try something pricier...I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox monster cables, but I only got them since they were the only ones in available at my best buy on day one.

9. it may be the way xbox displays visuals. It doesn't seem to have a perfect black contrast. Try looking at how sharp, deep and dark the black area of the Xbox startup is compared to the crisp black area of the PS2 or Cube start ups. Xbox outputs a strange, dullish display with slightly dilluted colors and an untuned black level of color contrast so stuff always looks slightly washed out.