Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Ninja Gaiden

1. Yield Review: Ninja Gaiden

Fifth times the charm?

Tecmo was working and working on this for years, and we finally have access to the new <i>Ninja Gaiden</i>. The first NES installment was difficult (especially fighting dear old Dad), but it awed us with its then-cutting-edge use of cut scenes to flesh out the story. Today's <i>NG</i> boasts cutting-edge graphics - that's evident - but does it share its predecessors' other charms? And what about the difficulty? (If it's too hard, maybe your mask's too loose.)

<a href="http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/xbox/ninja-gaiden/index.shtml">We know Ryu's past glories, now find out about his present-day realities.</a>

2. I think he made a typo. That should be an "A" not a "B".
    Play Guitar Hero //

Good review. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't consider it an A-level game.

One of the main reasons I'm only giving Ninja Gaiden a B- is the high difficulty. The game is just hard enough for me that the frustration factor takes away from the fun factor. It pains me to dock the game on difficulty because the raw mechanics of just running around and fighting grunts is amazing. The simple things: blocking, comboing, decapitating foolish military grunts is fun, but getting sliced in the back by an enemy that dashes in from off screen is not fun.
    This sums up the game for me.

4. Yes, agreed. High difficulty does not make it fun, regardless HOW good you are at games. I consider that a major dent in one's enjoyment. (But just think of the replay value that will reap.)

5. TNL and crappy game reviews go together like Oprah and housewives.

6. We're anxiously awaiting your review, as always.

Since you're such a Ninja Gaiden aficianado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. The problem is not the difficulty. The problem is the camera and to a lesser degree the way the auto-targeting and context senstive moves reduce your control of the game. When the game works the difficulty is definitely managable for anyone with decent motor skills.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

8. If you want a real review, read Eurogamers' review which they just posted.

One of the best reviews i've read in a long time.

9. The funny thing is, that Eurogamer review basically agrees with everything Ross said. Like he did, they complain very vocally about the camera and difficulty level, but still end up recommending the game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs
    If you want a real review
    lol

You sound like a real jerk, buddy.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery