Thread: Power Supply for Supergun

1. Power Supply for Supergun

I read in numerous places that if you're using a computer PSU for a supergun, that it should be AT instead of ATX. The reason is because most ATX do not have a "true" on/off switch and is meant to be controlled by a motherboard.

The antec ATX power supply in my computer has an actual on/off switch. When I flip it on the computer itself doesn't turn on until I push the power button (obviously), so basically my question is whether or not the power supply is putting out power when I switch it on OR is it waiting to be "powered up" by the motherboard?

My main thing for wanting to use ATX instead of AT is because it's a lot easier to find them new and from a brand I've actually heard of.

2. help

3. ATX power supplies go into standby mode when you turn them on. They don't fully start up until the computer is turned on. This is why you will sometimes see LAN lights on your ethernet card or motherboard lights when the computer is off, yet the power supply is still switched on -- it is giving a bit of power to the board, but not enough to fully power up the computer. It seems to me that could wreak havok on a Supergun unless you had circuitry to handle the standby mode.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    ATX power supplies go into standby mode when you turn them on. They don't fully start up until the computer is turned on. This is why you will sometimes see LAN lights on your ethernet card or motherboard lights when the computer is off, yet the power supply is still switched on -- it is giving a bit of power to the board, but not enough to fully power up the computer. It seems to me that could wreak havok on a Supergun unless you had circuitry to handle the standby mode.
    You are correct!

I found this simple atx psu power switch guide just now. All these supergun guides need to include the possibility of using ATX power supplies, since it's a lot easier to get them new if you want.