Page 1 of 27 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: splinter cell - pandora tomorrow

1. splinter cell - pandora tomorrow

release date: march 23rd

i may be wrong, but there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm for this game on tnl. while it's understandable, considering that the single player mode is very similar to the first splinter cell, pandora tomorrow has an all-new multiplayer mode that looks absolutely incredible. it's responsible for egm awarding it game of the month, with 2 9.5s and a 10.

it's strictly 2 vs. 2, with one side playing as spies, in the traditional 3rd person mode. the other side are mercenaries, who play in a first person view.

so. if you have any interest whatsoever in truly innovative videogame design, please read this post from tycho, of penny arcade. it's long, but does a great job explaining what it's all about.
    More than any other game I've played, and perhaps because of the very different roles involved, playing your best actually elevates the quality of the experience for your opponent. You are almost working together, and in a strange way even collaborating on each round.

It isn't like the raw competition you see in other online games - you can't compare it to CTF let's say, because each side in Pandora Tomorrow has such divergent goals and abilities. What's more, getting your ass kicked over and over in CTF isn't enjoyable. You each have the same equipment, so when they win it's like they're hitting you over the head with it. When your opponent wins in this game, it's because they embodied that side's unique traits better than you did. The trick is that if you are playing as the Shadownet spies and your Argus mercenary opponents are constantly running around with their headlamps on, planting proximity mines, setting Spy Traps, and maybe catching you with a phosphorescent grenade so that you leave glowing footprints, they are refining the properties of your spy experience considerably. Simply by playing the game the best they can, the nastiest, they are dramatically improving the feeling of high-stakes espionage. The same is true when you play Argus. If spies are sneaking around the way they should be, deactivating sensors and cameras with their pistol, tracking you around the facility with Spy Bullets, disorienting you with flashbangs or (God forbid) actually grabbing you from behind and whispering sweet nothings, they are making it a better game.
    more here

there's a video of the multiplayer mode up on the official site

edit: two new videos for download. spies/mercs

2. Splinter Cell was one of my favorite videogames of 2002.

I'm definitely looking forward to this.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Check the front page for a Pandora Tomorrow feature next week.

I've got a big photo report coming up next week on the Xbox Live "World Premiere" event for Pandora Tomorrow that was held at Universal City, CA this Monday. LA players squared off against New York players, and it was very entertaining! Trash talking was in FULL effect. The Live mode really seems like it will be a blast and the main attraction of the game. The dynamic between playing mercenary and spy looks to be deep, and the matches get INTENSE. If it's half as fun to play as it was to watch, fans are in for a treat.

The single-player Xbox game was also on hands-on display and I think fans of the first Splinter Cell will love it. I had some issues with the checkpoint system that frustrated me with the original, and it looks like there's no quicksave in the sequel either. But if you're not bothered by that, it should be right up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddman
    I've got a big photo report coming up next week on the Xbox Live "World Premiere" event for Pandora Tomorrow that was held at Universal City, CA this Monday. LA players squared off against New York players, and it was very entertaining! Trash talking was in FULL effect. The Live mode really seems like it will be a blast and the main attraction of the game. The dynamic between playing mercenary and spy looks to be deep, and the matches get INTENSE. If it's half as fun to play as it was to watch, fans are in for a treat.

The single-player Xbox game was also on hands-on display and I think fans of the first Splinter Cell will love it. I had some issues with the checkpoint system that frustrated me with the original, and it looks like there's no quicksave in the sequel either. But if you're not bothered by that, it should be right up your alley.
    I was going to go to that at Times Square Monday night, but decided against it as it was at 10PM, and getting home would have been a bitch at 1 in the mornin'.

5. Ah, ya missed out on a nice goodie bag full of freebies.

Don't worry, after reading my article you'll feel like you were practically there. Except in L.A.

6. I'll be there day one. I will be on vacation too, so I will be up late enough to play with you a bit EP.

JM

7. I'm thinking that reviews should start scoring online and offline portions of games separately.

Based on everything I've seen so far, the single-player Pandora looks very similar to the original Splinter Cell, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially since Pandora isn't really a true sequel.

However, the online portion of the game looks absolutely incredible. I could see that part of the game getting high scores, but is the offline single-player really that much of an improvement?

Another example: XB Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Mediocre offline, amazing online. Scoring the game an 8 overall seems misleading when it gets, say, a 6 offline and a 9 online. People who don't have Live may end up being misinformed.

I know reviews don't mean anything blah blah blah but I think it's important to differentiate between the two, especially when the game plays completely differently online than off.

Is there offline multiplayer for Pandora? System link?

All that said, I was surprised at how much I dug the first game, and I'll pick this up depending on how the single-player turns out.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

8. Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic
    Is there offline multiplayer for Pandora? System link?
    yeah, system link only. split-screen would be pointless, so it's not supported. i read a rumor that you can play on only 2 xboxes. two spies split-screened on one, and two mercs on the other. no idea if this is true, but i doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic
    I'm thinking that reviews should start scoring online and offline portions of games separately.
    i agree. this is especially relevant when you consider that the online and offline modes are often developed by different studios, as is the case here. ubisoft shanghai developed the single player scenario, and ubisoft montreal (developers of the original splinter cell,) worked on the multiplayer mode.

9. Quote Originally Posted by JM
    I'll be there day one. I will be on vacation too, so I will be up late enough to play with you a bit EP.

JM
    You guys do enjoy playing with each other late at night. And Meadowlands is better than Secaucus...

10. Simply awesome. I liked the stealth factor of the first one, and the reviews thus far indicate that the gameplay is more varied and generally all-around improved. But, make no mistake -- it's the 2-on-2 Live play that seals this one.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"