Thread: Windows XP SP2 "Technical Preview"

1. Windows XP SP2 "Technical Preview"

It's still only a beta. Don't install it. I toasted my XP install last night after installing it, having it fuck up on installing my processor/AGP bridge, and totally fucking my installation over after trying vainly to uninstall it (booted me into a "SESSIONS_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE BSOD after booting up.) The new security center thing is pretty neat, and IE does have a popup blocker now, but it's probably best to wait for the full thing to come out beforehand. Good thing I don't use XP as my primary OS, cause I had to totally format my NTFS partition and spent like 3 hours reinstalling XP, SP1, and other various programs (and I'm not even finished with that yet.)

So yeah, consider that a warning.

2. A buddy of mine has it running on his second computer. I really like the new security center but I won't install it myself untill the final version is out.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Yeah, the security center is pretty nifty (even though it won't recognize Norton 2000 for some odd reason) in it. Also, when I set it up it fucked with my boot.ini file and re-named win98 to "Windows XP Media Center Edition."

4. It couldn't recognize Norton 2002 that my buddy was using as well... probably just one of those beta bugs they need to get worked out. From what I could tell from my short time with it the built in XP firewall seemed to be much improved though.

I'll still stick to my router firewall though.

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Also, when I set it up it fucked with my boot.ini file and re-named win98 to "Windows XP Media Center Edition."
    Lol... It would have been even better if it'd renamed it "Windows XP Happy Special Edition"
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

lithium Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cka
    and IE does have a popup blocker now
    All right! So MS is only what, 4 or 5 years behind? Can we look forward to blocking image servers in IE in 2015? Tabs in 2030?

6. I installed it.

I've had no problems with it.

7. Installing beta service packs is like dancing with the devil and hoping he doesn't try to trip you up. Don't do it unless you're like cka and have a XP box just for grins. Wait at least until the official release, maybe even a few weeks to a couple months after it's released for things to settle down.

You have been warned.