Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spyware removal programs

1. Arrogant. By your logic virus authors are blameless saints, too. After all, you shouldn't have opened that infected zip file.

lithium Guest
    Arrogant my ass. People are complacent. Spyware exists because people let it. It's 100% legal, as it's always outlined in the EULA. If people actually stood up against it, voiced their opinion on it, and refused to use software that has it, it'd go away. It's that simple.

Viruses are illegal, they alter your computer without your permission. Spyware alters your computer with your permission.

3. That is somewhat true, though it does not cover all of the types of spyware/malware. There are certain programs and sites that do trick you into installing it without telling you (even without EULAs) what you are installing. I don't think you can really group everything into the "people are complacent" category -- there are lots of con artists at work here.

As for broken IE installations after spyware removal, Spybot and Ad Aware are doing their job by removing the spyware. They currently can't fix IE by design, and their creators probably don't want to get into making modifications to IE anyway. Microsoft created this problem by leaving holes open in ActiveX for spyware authors to exploit, so it's up to Microsoft to fix it. Blame MS, not the spyware scanner.

Bottom line
    Internet Explorer is broken. Do not use it. If you do, you place yourself at risk for getting spyware.

4. Yep, a combination of Spybot and Ad Aware works perfectly. Combine that with Firefox and you system is locked down tight.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Quote Originally Posted by lithium
    Spammers are encroaching on your rights and hogging bandwidth they are not entitled to.

Spyware is 100% authorized by you. If it's on your computer, it's because you allowed it. Don't misplace your blame. Instead take some responsibility for your machine.
    You would have a point if they agreed to thier own EULA. 90% of this stuff cannot be uninstalled using the sometimes included uninstaller. They often go as far to alter several programs within the OS to intentionally make it difficult to remove them. This isn't covered in the EULA for sure.

Oh, and for the record, I have only been hooked into spyware myself once, through the original Kazza. But I often have to help others who's computers are so infested with the stuff, it brings the system to a crawl.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    Spy bot > ad aware
    I believe this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    You wouldn't need four programs if you would simply stop using IE.
    LOL

7. I use Ad Aware because Spy Bot might as well BE spyware with how hard they make it to uninstall it completely from your system.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Videodrone
    I'm all about Spybot: Search and Destroy

link
    Yeah, this thing saved my ass a few weeks ago. Recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

9. Spybot is my weapon of choice. When I got my new Dell 3.2GHz P4, I made damn sure to get that on there ASAP.

As for the programs that cease to function if you remove their accompanying spyware- 86 'em, I say. There's got to be something equivalent or better out there that does not have that junk in it.

Those who write spyware are no better than the creators of viruses. I've NEVER used OutLook Express, and have also stopped using IE a long time ago- Mozilla Firebird and Thunderbird as well as a good firewall like Zone Alarm Pro are about all you need for surfing and email.