Thread: >128 GB drive on a TiBook 550?

1. >128 GB drive on a TiBook 550?

Okay, purchased a brand new 160GB hard drive. Put it into my external FireWire HD casing to use it as an external media drive, hooked it up to my 500MHz TiBook. (Running OSX 10.3.3) And... 128 GB. That's the limit I can get with it. In doing reading, it seems that 128 GB is the limit that a drive can go up to without certain extra elements involved. However, what I read seems to say that FireWire doesn't have a limit.

So, am I having a jumper issue, or is this indeed the highest my drive can go up to?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Could be the TiBook's BIOS doesn't support anything higher than that.

This computer we had at work would only accept 32GB or something, so we had to partition it as multiple drives.

3. 160GB... schiesse... my HD is lucky to pass 5 GB.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

4. I've been to office max the other day and saw a 120GB for $175, dunno if I should wait or look elsewhere. There's one for firewire, but it's $215 and I don't see how it's worth it.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

5. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Okay, purchased a brand new 160GB hard drive. Put it into my external FireWire HD casing to use it as an external media drive, hooked it up to my 500MHz TiBook. (Running OSX 10.3.3) And... 128 GB. That's the limit I can get with it. In doing reading, it seems that 128 GB is the limit that a drive can go up to without certain extra elements involved. However, what I read seems to say that FireWire doesn't have a limit.

So, am I having a jumper issue, or is this indeed the highest my drive can go up to?
    FireWire should not have that limit. Did you open Disk Utility and see what the bus is viewing the drive's size as? A lot of times, "new" hard drives have been tested and formatted during the testing. So they might have done the testing in a machine with a 128GB limit. If that's the case, you can repartition it to get those missing Gigs.

Also, the drive needs to be set to "Master", not "Cable Select" for FireWire, but I doubt that would cause this issue.

I'll check the Apple Knowledge Base and post again.

Your Gige TiBook's specs say nothing about a FW drive size limit. I don't know if you'll be able to view this knowledgebase article, but here's the important line:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Not all Macintosh products can take advantage of the full capacity of large (128 GB or greater) hard drives that use 48-bit LBA when they are connected via an ATA controller. Other controllers (SCSI or FireWire) are not affected.
    Yours can take up to 48GB internally, but there's no FW limit. So if your PB isn't seeing the missing Gigs, chances are the drive is bad. Get it replaced ASAP.