Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YIPPEEE....I bought a new HDTV widescreen TV....

1. Uh-oh YIPPEEE....I bought a new HDTV widescreen TV....

dunno if some of you guys remember, i was torn between buying a 50" Plasma or a 36" LCD, both had thier downfalls which made me rethink wheather i should drop $6000 on shady screen for my gaming and DVD.

i mainly wanted to play my games in progressive scan, the 38" TV that i own currently, while beautiful doesnt support PS(didnt know anything about HDTV when i bought it), which only made me think, do they sell a friggin widescreen HDTV in this country?(very low demand)

today i was going through the newspaper and i saw this thing....

(i was hoping for a completely silver one like the one in the newspaper, but the guy told me the one in the UAE only comes with the black glossy frame around it)

http://www.sony-asia.com/wegahrseries/flashok.html

i took my GC to my Sony dealer with Metroid Prime to test the TV out and wow, the game looks gorgouse, not only that but now i will play the game all over again to experience it in widescreen mode. Also, i can't imagine what Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 3 & 4, Metroid Prime 2....and a bunch more would look like

without thinking, i droped $3000 and bought the TV(with glass table), delivery tomorrow 5pm

question, i have a new model PS2 and i heard that the new ones support progressive scan(through a PS cable), what resolution do PS PS2 games run at? will i see a difference in the older games?

thanks!

2. Congrats, that set looks awesome. I really want to get a HDTV this year, maybe toward the end of the year as a Xmas gift to myself! Myself, I am thinking of getting a Samsung DLP (the new models that are coming out this year), a 50in maybe... Too bad I can't play gungames on those!

3. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters
    Congrats, that set looks awesome. I really want to get a HDTV this year, maybe toward the end of the year as a Xmas gift to myself! Myself, I am thinking of getting a Samsung DLP (the new models that are coming out this year), a 50in maybe... Too bad I can't play gungames on those!

yah those things are beautifull i tell yah. How are DLPs different from Plasmas and tubes?

btw, i forgot to mention, the TV i bought supports 480p,720p and 1080i. it also accepts sony memory stick, i just happen to have a sony digi cam, still pics would look awesome

also, a few weeks back i bought a Panasonic progressive DVD player that plays JPG, Windows Media Player video files, VCD, SVCD and DivX ....i just burn stuff to CD and enjoy it on my DVD player

4. Good job on the TV. HD is a wonderful thing. However, now you are spoiled, and will think that anything less than HDTV is just crap (barring, of course, RGB or VGA).

Your avatar is....startling.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    Good job on the TV. HD is a wonderful thing. However, now you are spoiled, and will think that anything less than HDTV is just crap (barring, of course, RGB or VGA).

Your avatar is....startling.

heheh, thanks!

i wonder what GBA games would look like in progressive scan.

btw, are there any games on the xbox that support 720p and 1080i?

my avatar = FIERCENESS!!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    my avatar = FIERCENESS!!!
    God dammit, you really had me going there.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

7. Man I want to get a HDTV set, I already have a nice reciever and speakers that is all I need now to complete my setup... maybe sometime later this year if I'm lucky

8. Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    God dammit, you really had me going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    Man I want to get a HDTV set, I already have a nice reciever and speakers that is all I need now to complete my setup... maybe sometime later this year if I'm lucky

i'm going to remodel my entertainment room soon, when that's done im going to invest in a surround sound system.

9. ...

Listen, the PS2 from what I understand supports progressive scan ONLY if the games are coded for it, so you can't just run all games in progressive scan on a HDTV, I think there are only a handful that run in progressive, the only one I play being GGX2.

GBA looks pretty poor through progressive because of the chunky pixels, but at least they left HD support in for the HD player...so that you don't have to unhook the system everytime you want to play it.

But Xbox and GC look gorgeous in HDTV and you will never go back. Make sure to set the Xbox to Widescreen mode and check all the HD modes it supports.

There are a few 720p and 1080i games on Xbox that are supported. SC2 runs in 720p. Dragon Lair runs in 1080i I believe, not sure what else.

And finally, don't play anything predating PS2 (well DC is okay for 3-D stuff if your TV has a VGA input) -- and try to stick to component or you will get a pixelated, blurry mess. Get a small interlaced or RGB set for older systems. Trust me.

Now enjoy!
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

10. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    Oh SHUTUP!
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"