Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KOF 2K2 PS2

1. KOF 2K2 PS2

King of Fighters 2002 comes to Japan PS2 this week (3-25-04).

I was planning on holding off for a US release, but given how SCEA is, I decided to import it. I would wait for the XBox version, but I want it on PS2...on principle.

Is anyone else picking this one up?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    I was planning on holding off for a US release, but given how SCEA is, I decided to import it. I would wait for the XBox version, but I want it on PS2... on principle.
    ???

Explain.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    ???

Explain.
    Gladly

Its to gratify my psychological need to "stick it to" SCEA. They said "no, you cannot have KOF 2002 on PS2", so...I go out and import the damn thing.

Dumb reason? Yes. Am I OK with that? Yes.

I already have DC version, and the *ahem* PC version, and will be getting the XBox version.

I know I'm not the only one...

4. News

I'll wait for the Xbox version, as I am without a japanese Playstation 2. Anyone want to send me one?
    I'm not paying for one of these things twice...

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

I'd think buying the US Xbox release would stick it further up SCEA's ass.

That's what I'd do, if I cared about KoF. It's what I'm doing with Metal Slug 3.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. I finally got my copy and spent a few hours with it. The music is unchanged, but the backgrounds are in 3D. Gameplay is responsive and identical to the arcade and DC versions.

The sprites are quite pixellated- much like in the PS2 rev of KOF2001. The backgrounds don't look all that much better, and have the same jagged look they had with the 3D stages of KOF Dream Match 1999 on Dreamcast. (however, I am playing on an HDTV with component connection, so it may look more jagged to me)

The portrait art looks very sharp and clean, however.

Rugal seems to be playable from the get-go, and I have yet to figure out how to unlock the other characters...let alone Goenitz and Geese.

7. So another one to throw to the fake low-res games list. Seems it'll be the standard from now on.

Didn't I hear that you have an option to select original 2D backgrounds in this one?

8. Yeah you can select the 2D backgrounds. In the end, both modes are ugly.

9. True 3D stages eh?

I still haven't seen this. Are there any pics out there?

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Giga Power
    I still haven't seen this. Are there any pics out there?
    You wouldn't be able to tell anyway- the textures for the stages are nearly identical to the original ones. The only way to tell that they are in 3D is when the screen is scrolling. The difference is only marginal...

One cool thing is that the sprites are affected by the lighting of the stage. For instance, during dusk stages, the sprites are tinted to reflect the setting sun.

I just read on Gamefaqs (yes, I know) that SCEA has officially rejected KOF 2002. It looks like the only way we may get a US PS2 release would be for it to appear as a double-pack with 2003...