Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Totoro coming to dvd

1. Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Totoro coming to dvd

Digitalbits-
    In other news, not a day after we posted word of this in The Rumor Mill, we've gotten official confirmation from Buena Vista that Wave 2 of the Miyazaki Collection will street on August 31st. Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro will be released as 2-disc special editions (SRP $29.99 each). All three titles will feature newly produced English language voice tracks as well as the original Japanese audio. Also included will be complete storyboards, behind-the-scenes featurettes and more. All three films will be presented in anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio). My Neighbor Totoro and Porco Rosso will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, while Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind will be mono.

I can't wait. I imported Porco a while back, it's a great movie. I've yet to see the other ones, and I'm especially dying to see Nausicaa.
    pwned by Ivan

2. i'm a bit wary of any attempt to stuff nausicaa into a 2 hour movie, but it worked for akira (in a strange sort of way.) still, curiosity will probably win me over by the time it's released.

porco rosso came out after spirited away, correct? i don't really know much about it. isn't it about pig-people, or something?

3. Nausicaa is a marvelous movie.

Porco Rosso came out quite a bit before Spirited Away, it's a fairly fun movie... but no Nausicaa.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I really prefer the Nausicaa anime to the manga. I saw the movie before reading the books, but ... it's really amazing.

5. The Nausicaa movie is super old, like Cagliostro old, and it's only based on the first book. Porco Rosso came out in the early ninties, like a decade before Spiritied Away. It's about a pig man, yes, but everyone else is human.
    pwned by Ivan

6. Quote Originally Posted by Green
    The Nausicaa movie is super old, like Cagliostro old, and it's only based on the first book. Porco Rosso came out in the early ninties, like a decade before Spiritied Away. It's about a pig man, yes, but everyone else is human.
    i knew about nausicaa, but porco rosso is new to me.

i don't follow anime news very much anymore, so please clear something up for me: around the time spirited away was released in america, i saw preliminary sketchwork for miyazaki's next project, and it looked like it had something to do with pig-people, for lack of a better term. what has he done since that film was released?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Green
    The Nausicaa movie is super old,

like Cagliostro old,

and it's only based on the first book.
    I wouldn't say that. It diverges hugely from the then-unfinished manga, but does conclude the story quite nicely with no hanging threads. It's kind of a different story (or the same story told a different way) with the same/similar characters.

8. Epmode, Miyazaki's next movie is Howl's Moving Castle. I don't know if any pig people are in it, though.
    pwned by Ivan

9. I wonder if the Totoro dub will be the same one used when it was released here in theaters in the mid 90's. I know Buena Vista had nothing to do with that.