Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do companies want to sell there games as online downloads? No more disc...

1. Why do companies want to sell there games as online downloads? No more disc...

I read an article the other day in some mag that Sony is currently planning to make PS3 game for sale online, which you download. Anyone else think this is the STUPIDEST idea ever? Who the HELL want to wait to download a gig or 2 of a game? I for one actually LIKE having to go to a store and buy a game. I like have a copy of it in hand. I LIKE boxes. I LIKE instuction books. I LIKE taking my games to friends homes. I HATE HATE HATE the idea of companies wanting to sell there games as online downloads.

PLEASE, all game companies DONT make this the future of gaming! Its a BAD idea that will kill gaming.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

I hate the concept with a passion. Companies want to avoid manufacturing costs and middle-men, I suppose.

Boxes COST MONEY.
    Instruction manuals COST MONEY.
    The phyiscal games themselves that you take to your friend's houses COST MONEY.

All of which can be eliminated by making it an online-only process. Eliminating major physical costs and productions would definitely help them think that this is the way to go.

Not that I agree.

All you EQ and FF11 people aren't helping the cause.

4. My 2 yen:

I couple companies will "experiment" with this and fail.

That's it.

5. This won't work if broadband isn't available EVERYWHERE that people play video games. And what about those countries where the internet is only really available in cafe type settings?

Downloadable content is one thing, but complete games the likes of whick we have now, is not going to happen. Can you imagine how dumbed down Halo would have to be to make it down load quickly?

I bet "downloadable only" will not happen (successfully) until the next revolution in web connection occurs. Even broadband is too slow, IMO.

Originally posted by Mr. Furious
    A few companies will try this and fail
    And then a few companies will come afterwards, buy up all the tech & licencing stuff that the failed companies will have laying around, and then in turn either fail themselves or start to pull a profit off of online gaming.

Seriously, unless everyone in the entire world decided to simply stopped using all online features that every single game uses right now (which I really wish would happen but won't), this PS3-situation will happen. When (or who), who knows, but as long as there's fags playing each other online, this is what we can look forward to.

7. I can't see how this whole concept can take off. What happens when all those games you bought online get destroyed, because the hard-drive crashes, or the console dies? Most gamers just won't go for it.

Really, has pay per view taken away from video rentals? Video rental is still going strong, and most people buy those movies they enjoy most.

The only way I can see paying for games, is to preview them and make a purchasing decision from there. Devoted gamers want to have their games with packaging, manuals, and disks, in hand. Do you think that Working Designs and companies like them would be around, if gamers did'nt enjoy the added extras provided with collector edition games, and hard to ones also? Don't make the biggest mistake ever Sony. Make the console with both options available, not cutting your throat by putting so much faith in a pay to play method.

8. The moment this happens is the moment I quite gaming. Sure, I'll still play my classics, but I refuse to pay money for something that I can't physically hold.

I don't know about you but I am sick of this whole online direction that games are taking. Online features as an extra are fine, but when an internet connection is required to experiance certian features of a game, it is pathetic. Take things like the extra songs in Samba De Amigo, which you must download to use. What is going to happen in 3 years or so when the downloads are nowhere to be found?

Who knows, it is an insanely stupid idea to make games download only and if it happens, I hope whatever company tried it goes out of business.

9. It takes too damn long to download a gig on even the most steady broadband connection. Some budget titles might go this way, but it's just not practical for the vast majority of games being made today.

Also, it would make piracy even easier, which is something all game makers loathe. Also the production costs of most games pale in comparison to the costs it takes to make the game in the first place.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

Originally posted by gamevet
    What happens when all those games you bought online get destroyed, because the hard-drive crashes, or the console dies?
    I can't see how an online ISP of this nature wouldn't be able to keep a detailed inventory of what you have and haven't d/led. MS seems to have no problem knowing exactly what IE extras you have and have not.

Really, has pay per view taken away from video rentals?
    Payperview has the magic ability of gaining more and more profit over video rentals with every passing month AND costing (usually) twice as much as a (non-Blockbuster) video rental.

The only way I can see paying for games, is to preview them and make a purchasing decision from there. Devoted gamers want to have their games with packaging, manuals, and disks, in hand. Do you think that Working Designs and companies like them would be around, if gamers did'nt enjoy the added extras provided with collector edition games, and hard to ones also?
    Previewing would be cool.

The only reason why WD exists is because most US branches still believe that niche titles can't pull profit; hence, WD comes in and (years later) picks up the slack. The extra fluff only matters to people that actually end up liking the game, otherwise it's not a loss. If every game released in Japan was released in the US by default, WD wouldn't exist. If the PS3 (as it's rumored to be now) and/or other similar online consoles cause the death of WD, I'm all for it.