Thread: LCD TVs -- worth the price?

1. LCD TVs -- worth the price?

So I need some expert opinions here. I am going back to school (grad school) and am getting a new computer. I am most likely getting a Dell and they offer a widescreen LCD TV/monitor in one of the packages. So what is the deal with LCD TVs? What are the pros and cons for gaming and DVD playback?

Here's the link to the TVs -- http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I'm thinking of going with the 23 inch version, but is it worth the hefty price tag (I'm going to be financing the whole computer, which will be about 2,000 with the monitor).

So are LCD TVs HDTVs? I already have an HDTV but am not familiar with LCDs? DO they automatically detect progressive scan for systems that support it? Can they do non-HD components? How do I set this up? I am guessing the computer I get will be able to set the display to properly fit the widescreen aspect ratio?

I want a lot of tecnical advice before making a purchase. These sets have component/VGA/and DVI -- so my plan is to have this be my computer/online gaming zone -- the Xbox will be hooked up via VGA with the X2VGA, the PS2 via component input, and the computer through DVI.

Oh and another HDTV is not an option because of size, so even though they are more cost comparable, I can't do it. It's either LCD or plain old computer monitor.

Advice???
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

2. If you need technical advice, why then did you not post this at the Circuit Board?

Pa

3. ...

Ah but I did and besides, no one know where it is, cause you guys hid it in Sound Off, when it should be a main selection...or part of gaming discussion...

4. I'm no mod, so don't blame me! That action should be right on the front page with "Cinemania" and whatever other useless boards that get so much exposure.

"Here at TNL, if something can help you out, we'll bury it."

;p

Pa

5. LCD TVs are HD compliant usually and can do non HD component video. For whatever reason Dell didn't list if 720p could be done, but since it can do higher VGA resolutions the chances of it not being able to do 720p are very slim. Most modern day PC video cards can do wide screen resoultions. The only cons I can think of is price and the fact that LCD is just not good for gaming. The latter won't be too bothersome if you play slow paced games. My 2 cents...

6. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa
    I'm no mod, so don't blame me! That action should be right on the front page with "Cinemania" and whatever other useless boards that get so much exposure.

"Here at TNL, if something can help you out, we'll bury it."

;p

Pa
    If you dont go to Cinemania, it doesnt mean it uselless. I wish more people would actually stop by there. Its more important than Score board, or whatever then name of it anyway.

7. Quote Originally Posted by The Bastard
    LCD TVs are HD compliant usually and can do non HD component video. For whatever reason Dell didn't list if 720p could be done, but since it can do higher VGA resolutions the chances of it not being able to do 720p are very slim. Most modern day PC video cards can do wide screen resoultions. The only cons I can think of is price and the fact that LCD is just not good for gaming. The latter won't be too bothersome if you play slow paced games. My 2 cents...
    Hmmm...what are some of the drawbacks for gaming on an LCD? This is for mostly 3-D systems such as Xbox and PS2...

ssb

8. It kinda looks like 45-50 frames per second with motion blur when stuff is moving. It's because the way LCD produces a picture and it can barely keep up. It isn't actually too bad. The picture quality is amazing and 2D gaming moves and looks fantastic. Since you're buying something on the higher end, it should be very bearable.