Thread: Lite On CD Burner is locking up my computer

1. Lite On CD Burner is locking up my computer

I've had this Lite On 48x cd burner for over a year and it's worked fine until now. Whenever I try to burn a cd (no matter the file type or cd brand) my system comletely locks up and I have to hit the reset button to reboot.

It seems to happen at different times, once at 20% done (then the next cd I burned went fine) and then it happened again at 93% burned. I checked for a firmware or driver update but didn't find anything. Any ideas?

2. have you tried burning with a different program? Just in case it's the program that's corrupted and not the drive.

3. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    have you tried burning with a different program? Just in case it's the program that's corrupted and not the drive.
    You might also look into OS problems. It could be something screwy with Windows that's causing the lockup.

4. I'm using Nero 6 now, I haven't tried another program. What's a good alternative (using XP btw)?

5. do you have iTunes? just burn a cd with that to see what happens.
    Or you could try to DL Roxio's Easy CD Creator, but Nero is a much better program than that. Maybe you could just uninstall and reinstall Nero?

If you still can't burn a disk i don't know what your problem could be. Try the drive in another computer, if it still doesn't work just get a new one. They're only like $40.

6. There are a bunch of good free/shareware burning progs out there: Burn4Free, Cheetah, that Sony one. http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm None are as full featured as Nero or Roxio's, but they should help you figure out if it's a software problem. Use CD-RWs to test.

7. I just check for Nero updates (looks like I was about 3 behind) and it burned a full disc perfectly. So for now it looks like it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

8. Also, run a scandisk/defrag. It might be fucking up trying to read data from the drive.