Thread: Just a Page

1. Just a Page

Hey guys, I have not posted in a while, been a little busy.
    Anyway here is a page out of Hamlet. Critiques and opinions are
    welcome! Enjoy

I thought you were dead. "I am. I have come back from hell. The name is Shadow [Z]..."

Artboy5884::

2. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! that is amazing man, when we are going to enjoy this comic man?? I want it

3. Great work, Hiten. The almighty Paul Hudson (prof, much respected) would approve.

Aaaand, because it's so good, it's nit-picking time! First of all, panel one is extremely good. Ni-hi-ice use of perspective. But then, it kind of slooowly goes down hill. And, it's not that it gets bad in any part, it's just that you're so sharp with panel one, and no so sharp with the rest. Just a warning, I'm going to be a bit of an ass.
    Panel 2, the face is a wee bit off. Given the way you drew the woman's face in panel 1, it's just less balanced and mm... right looking.
    Panel 3, the plate, the plate. It looks okay, but it looks like it warped or something upon hitting the floor. The angles it's breaking at are strange and it's not completely believable, just the way it's breaking. X| Take a plate (cheap) and SMASH it! Watch it, and if you have to, do it again to get what you see.
    Panel 4- The perspective's failing a bit. It's gone from beautiful 2-point in panel 1 to simply good 1-point in panel 4. It's the door and the patterns floor that are bothing me the most.
    Panel 5- Okay, except that the handle looks a wee bit flat.
    Panel 6- Mmm... I see what you're going for, but I'm not sure if it's a silhouette or just blood. I think it could be pulled off better if you showed the action of stabbing. A pain in the ass, yeah. Still, if you want to go for the blood silhouette thing, just a bit more flowy. There are plenty of comics and anime with blood splattering references, I'm sure.

And yes, like I said, I'm being a jerk. If I'm coming off as too harsh, just PM me to give me a kick in the shins, balls, teeth. It is an excellent piece overall, it's just that it goes down a little in quality as you go.
    One last thing... You're using that damn blue-line paper! If you like it, fine, but vellum bristol is usually the same price or cheaper, easier to find (any art supply store will have it), is better for pencils, and takes ink MUCH better.

4. Hey Hiten, nice to see some work from you again. Overall it's very cool! I dig your style mixed with Shakespeare (I'm assuming it's THAT Hamlet). I agree with Finch on the blood in the last panel, but that's something I could use work on as well. Overall a man! Keep it up!

5. nice work hiten, my fav part of the page is the backgrounds, Im not one to speak on perspective as its a bit of a mystery to me still. I really like how you've drawn the bookcase, it fits well with you're style of figure drawing and looks good from the various angles you've shown it at.

and about the blueline sheets... where can I order some of that online? I have some bristol board and Ive done some pages on that but having the size ratio already set up on every page is something Id trade off vs paper quality. yes, Im lazy.

6. (*GASP! *) (*COUGH!*) (*GASP!*)
    (anti-preaching) X| "Correct ratio" is for wimps! Throw your smell to the breeze! Feel the hunger of the deep inner-self to be freeeeeee!

x0 Weeeeelllll... It's easy to set up a comic book page the right size. Take a comic book, trace it's outer edges on a piece of bristol. Take a ruler from the bottom corner of the page and draw it until it hits the edge. Take a bunch of sheets, stack them. Take a ruler and rule off the edge, cut straight down. Voila! There is your comic book paper! As for the panel sizes, there's no rule, as far as I know. For a rule that can be broken occasionally, give yourself a nice border on the edges, and a border between panels.
    See, you'd probably make copies to ink, anyway. No one but no one (but me) inks on the original. Mistakes are too easily made. It's just that you're paying too much for too little... And that I hate blue-line paper. I'll shut up about it for now, just a personal hatred.

7. Take a comic book, trace it's outer edges on a piece of bristol. Take a ruler from the bottom corner of the page and draw it until it hits the edge. Take a bunch of sheets, stack them. Take a ruler and rule off the edge, cut straight down.
    i dont understand that part, I may need some visual guides here....by outside edges do you mean when its open or closed? arent there 2 "bottom corners"?

if I understand this like I think do, you're saying trace the shape of a comic book on a peice of Bristol, stack up some Bristol and trim to the shape of the comic book.

But I thought the original pencils were drawn on larger sheets of paper than the final product.

this is why I need those blue line sheets

8. Alright, here's a diagram.
    The book is to be placed closed at either bottom corner of the paper.
    If it still doesn't make sense, 10X14 is standard un-reduced size. Size that up and find a paper cutter (Kinko's has 'em) and cut lots of sheets at a time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	9