Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 818202122

Thread: Lupin the Third

1. I just got the Discotek Fuma DVD and aside from the excellent transfer, I enjoyed the commentary track quite a bit - it complimented the film nicely, and served as a nice history lesson for the series as a whole, and it referenced some stuff that I'd missed before (like Murasaki being given Lupin's more famous red jacket to wear).

I also loved the production art gallery included on the disc (well, aside from the arrows covering up parts of the art) - it was more extensive than the same feature on the Geneon DVDs, and did a better job of showcasing more characters as opposed to just sticking with the gang and Zenigata.

Here's a screen comparison between the Discotek print (on the left) and the Animeigo version (on the right).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FumaConspiracyComparisonScreen1Discotek.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	37839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FumaConspiracyComparisonScreen2Animego.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	37840  
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01 Jul 2008 at 08:41 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

2. It looks a little washed out, with everyone's skin colors seeming slightly too light, but it still seems to be truer to the original colors than the Animeigo print.

Also, Lupin's not on the list of the franchises acquired by Funimation from Geneon, which doesn't bode well for the franchise's future. I could see it picked up if Funi does a second wave of Geneon acquisitions since Funi's apparently happy with Lupin's sales, so I could see them continuing to sell the franchise. If they did continue the second series, I would expect them to just do it in budget-friendly box sets since those did very well for the Lupin movies and the volume-only second series releases did fairly poorly.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 04 Jul 2008 at 11:45 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Give it time. I suspect FUNi didn't list off all of the titles yet that they will be distributing for Geneon. It would seem very odd/stupid/short-sighted for Geneon to hand over something like Ninja Vixens, but not the bigger name live action titles in their arms (Last Quarter, Princess Racoon, etc.) Most (if not all now) of the listed titles completed their dubbing so they are ready for release. Lupin may have been stopped much earlier and needs time to see what needs to be done for the second license of Series 2 episodes before announcing it.

4. I'll definitely be giving it time - Funi's got experience with the Lupin franchise, and the dubbing was apparently nearly completed for the second series, with 100 episodes dubbed. The biggest hurdle for Funi with this series would be choosing to either continue it with the second series' voice cast, or just going with the cast they've used for the movies/TV specials.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 05 Jul 2008 at 08:24 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Any word on Red v Green?

6. Nah - that still isn't licensed for release outside of Japan. Right now, there's nothing planned for a U.S. release, as the World's Most Wanted manga has been canceled and Discotek's put the DVD for Gold of Babylon on indefinite hold.

Reed Nelson's posted some theories regarding the possible licensing of the second series by Funi, and info about the series' existing licensing deal with Geneon - http://www.lupinthethird.net/forums/...12.msg4447#new
    Last edited by Jeremy; 06 Jul 2008 at 12:28 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. It's over for the Lupin TV series.

Even the more recent TV specials look very unlikely.

Discotek could release the 1985 movie 'Gold of Babylon' but I doubt they will change their minds.

8. A new Lupin podcast is out called Lupin Has Three Jackets, done by Gozar from the lupinthethird.net forums and another guy named Ryan - www.lupinhasthreejackets.mypodcast.com

Also, Kaizoufansubs is now translating the Lupin the Third Y manga, and the first and second series of the anime, along with Mamo and Castle of Cagliistro will be hitting Blu-Ray over the next six months - marking Lupin first release ever in a high-def format.

Edit - Fansubs of Seven Days of Rhapsody and Green vs. Red are now out.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 05 Oct 2008 at 08:01 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan