Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: 2D Platformers: The Very Best

1. 2D Platformers: The Very Best

Over the years my tastes have in terms of games have narrowed quite a bit as I figured out what I like. I pretty much just play 2D vertical shooters these days. But I recently played through Supermarioworld again, and remembered how much I love this genre as well. I just recently aquired my own copy of Yoshi's Island (rented it, but somehow never owned), and was blown away all over again. I mean, Shyguys on stilts? How can you beat that.

So in addition to shooters I'm going to start delving deeper into the 2D platformer genre. Help remind me of what I've missed and or forgotten about. I'll start with what I already have and enjoy.

PCE

PC Kid 1 +2
    Hani on the Road
    Son Son II
    Genji Tsuushin Agedama

Saturn

Super Tempo
    Clockwork Knight

PSone

Photoboy/The Cameraman
    Skullmonkeys

SNES/SFC

Supermarioworld
    Yossy Eyeland
    Earthworm Jim 1+2
    Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

GBA

Warioland IV
    Klonoa 1 (forgot the name)

NES

Mario Bros 1,2,3
    Ghosts 'n' Goblins

Genesis

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Please leave out Sonic games (I've had my fill), and Run 'n' Gun/beatemups for now. Any system import or domestic is fair game.

2. Um, I am having a little difficulty figuring out exactly what you want. What do you think of Alex Kidd, Ninja Gaiden, bubble booble?

3. i want a game called bubble booble..

anyway, i've been thinking of Plok lately... (snes)
    it's kind of underappreciated around most parts..
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    Um, I am having a little difficulty figuring out exactly what you want. What do you think of Alex Kidd, Ninja Gaiden, bubble booble?
    Alex Kidd- never played
    Ninja Gaiden- Fantastic (I have this)
    Bubble Bobble- Single Screen Platformer, not what we're after here.

Some GBA games I've got on the 'to buy' list:

Legend of Starfi 1 +2
    Klonoa G2
    Hachiemon

Any other GBA original platformers to look out for?

5. If you like Ninja Gaiden, i suggest Hagane for the SNES. The original wonderboy and the Adventure Island games.

6. A couple of these might not fit your criteria exactly but it's been many years since I've even seen some of these.

PC
    Abuse - A very dark, Aliens-ripoff platformer with guns

NES
    Shatterhand - Haven't really played this but it seemed good and I've heard other people say it's cool
    Power Blade - Short and easy but pretty damn fun
    Ducktales - Sweetness
    Bionic Commando - Just plain awesome in every way... except first figuring out what to use in what level and getting stuck because you're lacking an item, thus forcing a complete restart
    Little Nemo the Dream Master - I don't remember too much aside from really enjoying it

...and that's all I can think of off the top of my head that isn't totally basic.

Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat
    Any other GBA original platformers to look out for?
    Ninja Five-O is supposed to be awesome (although I can't find a copy), Metalgun Slinger (import only) is pretty good, and Megaman Zero 2 is excellent.

7. Ducktales - Sweetness
    I should be ashamed of myself for forgetting that.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    A couple of these might not fit your criteria exactly but it's been many years since I've even seen some of these.

PC

NES
    Shatterhand - Haven't really played this but it seemed good and I've heard other people say it's cool
    Power Blade - Short and easy but pretty damn fun
    Ducktales - Sweetness
    Bionic Commando - Just plain awesome in every way... except first figuring out what to use in what level and getting stuck because you're lacking an item, thus forcing a complete restart
    Little Nemo the Dream Master - I don't remember too much aside from really enjoying it

...and that's all I can think of off the top of my head that isn't totally basic.

Ninja Five-O is supposed to be awesome (although I can't find a copy), Metalgun Slinger (import only) is pretty good, and Megaman Zero 2 is excellent.
    Ah, Bionic Commando. I've played that to hell and back, but (like Yoshi's Island) never had my own. Lovely game, I'm putting that on the list for sure.

Ducktales...was the GB game a port of the NES one or an entirely new game? I remember loving the GB version.

Forgot about Metal Gun Slinger too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, a lot of these are games I've just plain forgotten about which is why I made a thread.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    i suggest Hagane for the SNES. The original wonderboy and the Adventure Island games.
    Yes, yes, and yes. That's a big yes to Hagane. Awesome game.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    PC
    I'd place this under the run and gun category, though, very cool control setup. Fun game, early Bungie.

Shatterhand and Ninja Five-O are winners. Both are excellent.

You already covered a lot of the good ones, so I'm kind of racking my brain thinking of more, though I know there's plenty of them out there. I have very few of my games here at school with me, so I can't go over my own collection. You listed SonSon II, which I play on my PCE now and then, and I swear I'll finish it one of these days.

Astal for Saturn is pretty good, I think the gameplay, although good, falls short of the beautiful graphics, but it's still an experience worth having. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu is also solid fun, though the PCE version is much better looking than the NES version.

Shadow of the Ninja and Kabuki Quantum Fighter are two other NES winners.

I'll revisit this thread when I've gotten a little farther on my paper, maybe I'll think a little more clearly then.

10. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat
    Ducktales...was the GB game a port of the NES one or an entirely new game? I remember loving the GB version.
    I have no idea, but the more I remember about the game the more I feel pains for having only rented it. I need a copy, and so do you. Just get one.

And Superplay videos.