Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the memory hog known as OS X

1. ...

Well OSX isn't too bad, I mean, it's an incredible system, so...I am able to run OSX and InDesign and 1 other program, such a Photoshop, and get away with it on 256 megs of RAM.

Well it isn't just the system that's the hog, the programs are too, InDesign runs over 100 megs for me, but at work I have a gig of Ram, so there is no problem...

I had just as many memory issues on OS9, but at least with X, I don't have to worry about upping the memory for individual programs as the system does it automatically...

Besides, RAM is cheap...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

lithium Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin
    Loss of usability, as in you have to try ten times to get it installed, and then fuss with all kinds of irritating command lines, and then make sure you have the right libraries installed to run your software with, and that you're using the appropriate environment, oh, and you have to make sure that environment has proper drivers for your hardware available.
    That's all irrelevant to me. Linux isn't for everyone but it's a perfectly fine OS for me; I'm quite familiar with it.

My 512 megs are waiting at my apartment (I'm out of town right now, get home tonight). So I should have solid OSX action soon. If not, I'll be investigating some PPC Linux distros.

3. i cant believe they shipped something brand new with 128 megs of ram.

lithium Guest
    They did, although now they come with 256 min. I didnt buy this book brand new.

lithium Guest
    Ugh. Ibooks only have one memory slot. So I have to settle for 512MB. I should have researched this machine a little more. But no biggee, 512 is plenty and it's zipping along pretty good now. Nice little machine.