Thread: NES disassembly question

1. NES disassembly question

Hey guys, I'm trying to open up my NES to clean/repair it and there's one thing I haven't quite figured out. How do you get inside the small compartment where the A/V output and power input is located? Is it soldered shut, as I can't seem to find anyplace to unscrew it.

I've tried prying it off thinking that it might be attached to some sort of pin, but it hasn't budged. Any ideas?

EDIT: Fuck, I had no idea there was a forum for this shit. Can one of the mods move it? Sorry.

2. IIRC, its was a soldered down piece of RF sheilding around those parts, as the RF modulation lived there as well, and the FCC requires shielding.

you would have to look on the underside of the PCB and should see some large contacts around the outer edge, these would have to be unsoldered to remove the sheilding.

But, why do you need to get in there anyways?
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

3. Quote Originally Posted by The Ampersand
    How do you get inside the small compartment where the A/V output and power input is located? Is it soldered shut, as I can't seem to find anyplace to unscrew it.
    You can't. There's no need to anyways, since nothing in there needs to be tinkered with or cleaned out.