Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Games Claim Another Life!

1. Video Games Claim Another Life!

Will the violence never end?

http://www.news-press.com/news/today...8stabbing.html

I'm not going to make fun of the actual situation, it's really pretty sad. However there's plenty of stuff here to work with while ignoring the actual tragedy itself.

Football. The game that caused this ridiculously violent outbreak was football. Which one they don't say, but I'd guess an NFL2K/2K1 game. Not Doom, or Quake, or BigEvilRapeSexViolence QuickPassAnAmendment, but football.

There's something here to be said about the nature of games and competition, and the way people can react and get caught up in anything, and the effects of god knows what on people that cause them to break over the slightest thing. Somehow, though, I doubt we'll be seeing a call for a nationwide ban on football any time soon.

James

2. I think you have a point.

3. Locally, there was a case of a guy killing another guy because of their sons' hockey game. Beat him to death because the puck hit his so, who was totally unharmed anyway due to safety gear.

Video games aren't the source of violence. Violent people are.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. Little league sports just make me sick. I'm in no way making a judgement on every match of little league sports everywhere, its just the ones I've been to or have been involved in were usually terrible. I've seen parents red faced screaming over a game 2nd graders are playing and just trying to have fun. Of course, I was raised in a very redneckish enviroment, so maybe it was just the stuff I've seen.

Thats just it Green, parents can get so infatuated with the image of their kids being the best. They don't care how there child feels and don't allow thier child to feel it's ok not to be the best. Thus screwing up the child, just so they can somehow make up for thier own lives by living vicariosly through thier children.

6. I gave some payback for those shitty football video games... My PS2 took a chunk out of a GameDay 2002 CD. Left a giant dent in it, too. She knows I don't like football games.

Oh, and sometimes I feel like kicking the crap outta someone when I have my off-days in Virtua Fighter 4. I.E: The days when Kage doesn't want to evade properly, but instead duck so a mid attack hits him and gives the computer the god damned K.O. in a 5 round battle with both of us having a god damned sliver of health left. Augh!

7. Competitive games induce a whole lot more violence than violent games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. I dunno, sometimes co-operative games can cause problems with violence.

I remember numerous near-fistfights that have broken out over who gets the spreader gun in Contra.

My friend bitch-slapped me once because i took all of the power-ups in a co-op game of Joe and Mac.

My friend and I had to abort a co-op session of Halo because we were unable to work together well. He was ready to beat me to a pulp (not likely- that fattie cant even conquer an english muffin)

Some people just are good at pissing each other off.

9. I've had major fights break out over 4-player games of Gauntlet. That can get nasty.

"Why are you stealing all the f*cking food!"
    "I want some treasure too please!"
    "Stop shooting me you f*cking Elf f*cker!"

10. that's why when i play co-op games i just play for fun. but sometimes my friends get royally pissed at the fact that i'm not taking the game seriously. i don't care if your green archer needs food badly, i don't care if we get the friggin' key or not, i'm just playin' to play. then when they don't win or sumhin' they get all sore an whiney. not to say that i don't get whiny, i usually only do that with 1 player games like rpg's or platformers though, but any time i'm playing with/against someone, it's all fun for me.