Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First next-gen console title revealed..

1. First next-gen console title revealed..

Today, Digital Extremes gave the public a taste of the future of gaming when it released the trailer for Dark Sector. According to the Ontario-based developer, the sci-fi action game will be released on "next-generation consoles." That makes it the first specific title released for a next-gen platform other than Death Jr., the PSP game deck title shown of at this year's Game Developer's Conference.

While Digital Extremes representatives flaunted the fact Dark Sector would be a next-generation game, they would not reveal whether or not the game would be released on Sony's PlayStation 3, Microsoft's Xbox Next, or both. They did stress the scenes shown in the trailer are made up of in-engine graphics, not pre-rendered CG. The company also did not divulge the game's approximate release date.

Check out the Dark Sector teaser trailer. Click "stream" for a larger view.
    Besides launching a teaser Web site for Dark Sector, Digital Extremes also released its high-res trailer. The slick-looking preview showed a high-tech commando evading power-armored guards inside a space station, much like a futuristic Splinter Cell. The trailer ends with the words "New Engine. New Game. New World." on the screen.

GameSpot will have more details on this exciting title as they become available.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
    POSTED: 04/02/04 11:24AM PST
    Screens: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04...x_6092782.html

Small streaming video: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04...x_6092782.html

Wow, strange animation aside, that looks very impressive in motion. Awesome music, too.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. I like the tension level caused by the music, and the animation seems pretty good. The visuals looked great from what little could be seen.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. if that's in game than holy shit, if that's cut scene, then i am not impressed at all... and yes I know it's in engine, or whatever, but that doesn't mean that that's how it will look when you paly it... jsut saying is all...

4. Looks like we are going to start seeing less and less of a difference between console gens from here on out...

5. Pretty nice to look at, but we have some stuff that comes pretty close already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    Looks like we are going to start seeing less and less of a difference between console gens from here on out...
    There's always going to be differences, you can count on it.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

6. Im not impressed in the least, and I agree with cheebs...

7. I hate to say it but I wasn't impressed either. There wasn't enough shown to get a feel for much in the way of new graphic tricks, just some fancy lighting effects and a few extra polygons. Not having any interest in the game being shown didn't improve my apprecitation of the footage either.

James

8. The official site... http://www.darksector.com/ has a better video, but it still didnt impress me terribly so.

Hopefully the lack of a huge jump in poly pushing power will force graphic artists to focus on textures, lighting, particle effects, and other visual techniques. More importantly, I hope it forces average game designers to stop relying on pretty shiney's and novelty to sell thier games.

Deformable environments and other affects, more realistic movement in things like clothing and hair, better looking water, smoke, dust, and fire. Thats what Im hoping to see.
    A is for action

9. It's funny that they don't even humour the possibility this game could also be for the Nintendo5.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

10. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue
    It's funny that they don't even humour the possibility this game could also be for the Nintendo5.

Why?

edit: Nevermind, my dyslexia is working overtime. I thought that you wrote "Nintendo DS".

I do think this bit at the bottom of the site is a little funny...

"Everything that you know about Dark Sector is probably wrong."
    A is for action