Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing old cars

Fixing old cars

How does one go about restoring an old car?

I have a really nice old car that needs a complete restoration. But I don't know anything about doing so. Where does one start?

Books, sites, anything helpful?

Here's a picture of the car I want to fix up.

And some pictures of what it could look like.

2. Owners manual for the car would be a start.

Auto Scrap yards for parts, though, that doesn't look like a common car so you'll likely have to pay a lot of money to buy parts online.

If you've never restored a car before or aren't mechanically inclinced (or an auto mechanic), this is probably not a good idea, given that you'll likely have to strip that car down to nothing and remove the engine et all.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    Owners manual for the car would be a start.

Auto Scrap yards for parts, though, that doesn't look like a common car so you'll likely have to pay a lot of money to buy parts online.

If you've never restored a car before or aren't mechanically inclined (or an auto mechanic), this is probably not a good idea, given that you'll likely have to strip that car down to nothing and remove the engine et all.
    I really just need a general check list of what you do first and so on. Money, tools, and parts won't be a issue.

The Car was my grandfathers. My dad will most likely help me out with the money if I show him that I am serious and will put the work into it needed to fix it.

We have a 2 door that my dad doesn't care to much about it. I'll probably go get it and trade parts on it to get the ones I need from a collector, or someone else who fixes these.

Tools are not an issue. My dad collects, repairs, and restores old military vehicles. If we don't have it, he has a friend who does, or can find one.

If you've never restored a car before or aren't mechanically inclined (or an auto mechanic), this is probably not a good idea,
    Gotta start some where.

4. Check the engine then. Probably has a carburator, you'll have to remove it and clean it out (make sure there aren't any bugs or shit in there), drain and refill the oil/gas (might have a gas plug under the tank), battery, wiring/electrical and then start the car.

Might help to do a google search on 'restoration car model'.

Check the engine then. Probably has a carburator, you'll have to remove it and clean it out (make sure there aren't any bugs or shit in there), drain and refill the oil/gas (might have a gas plug under the tank), battery, wiring/electrical and then start the car.

Might help to do a google search on 'restoration car model'.
    Thanks, ill look into all of that.

EDIT: It is a real shame that none of you have commented on what kind of car that is. Surely someone here knows their cars.

6. To be honest I've never seen that model before, looks similar to a Nomad... I know it's not that though

The biggest problem with older cars like that and restorations is you need to make sure you have a solid frame and check the body for rot and rust, if the frame and most of the main body panels are in good shape then it would cost a lot less and much less work then if the the frame is rotted where repairing something like that is a pain even for people who restore cars.

What make is that, Pontiac or maybe an Olds?... I was more into the late 60's early 70's muscle car era myself so that is why I'm not too familiar with that car

it's a 1959 Ford.

You know what it is, you're just not thinking.

8. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    EDIT: It is a real shame that none of you have commented on what kind of car that is. Surely someone here knows their cars.
    I was just going to ask. It would be pertinent information to share, you think?

...It really shouldn't be *that* hard to restore such an old car. Cars were much simpler back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

9. Its an Edsel.

Oh, and its also the ghosbuster ambulance.
    your mom

If you want a complete restoration, prepare for hundreds of hours of work. This involves stripping the car down to nothing, repairing rust and or rot (as someone else said), and then building it up from there. If you want an example of what you're in for, head on over to this page to see the progression of one guy's restoration of an old replica car. I've read about 2/3 of it (it will take a couple of hours to read in-depth), and it's very informative, and shows the types of barriers and such that one would come to with a restoration.