Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD refresh rates

LCD refresh rates

Just bought myself a 15" Sony LCD monitor for $400. So sexy. Only question I have is concerning the refresh rate. It's a standard 60 and doesn't go above. Me want 85. Anyway to get this baby up? Little choppy at 60.

2. I dont think there is...you have to buy a screen that supports that refresh rate (spend more money).

Sucks. Oh well, such a sweet monitor, though. Just have to get used to the slight blur while playing fast paced games.

Probably going to go the dual monitor route after I buy my 9800 with a CRT.

4. LCDs aren't typically designed with the heavy demands of gaming in mind.

Used to be that the whole point of fast refresh rates was to cut down on that irritating flicker you get on CRTs. (The difference between 60Hz and 85Hz is immediately felt in the eyes.) Since LCDs don't flicker, 60Hz is more than enough for most apps like browsing or multimedia, and casual gaming.

Yeah, the 60hz is really fine, I only notice anything when scrolling fast while browsing, and when turning fast ingame.

I used one of those sweet ass Mac screens to play UT, and I almost vomited at the shadows.

CRT for me for the foreseeable future.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Yeah, the 60hz is really fine, I only notice anything when scrolling fast while browsing, and when turning fast ingame.
    I don't think it is the refresh rate causing the problem, I believe it's the response time (usually listed in milliseconds). What's the total response time (rise+fall) for your LCD?

*shrugs*

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...U=SDMHS53%2fBT

After talking to LHaddat last night, I'll be running dual monitor with a CRT through a dual monitor card by the end of the week. Just need to find a cheap 17''.

9. i believe Samsung makes a low response time LCD for gaming. Not sure how good it works though.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    *shrugs*

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...U=SDMHS53%2fBT

After talking to LHaddat last night, I'll be running dual monitor with a CRT through a dual monitor card by the end of the week. Just need to find a cheap 17''.
    Looks like total response time is listed as 30 ms. Honestly, that isn't too great. Most new LCDs are 25 ms or less. If you like it feel free to keep it... but I think a much better deal would be to go through Dell's site and get one, I found (via Small Business) a black 17" Planar LCD for just under $400 and other models may be even cheaper.