Thread: "Illegal art"

1. "Illegal art"

http://www.illegal-art.org/

Just found this site, and it's amazing. Click on "Visual" on the right to see artwork that artists are sued over by companies. It's all mostly parody stuff (Starbucks logo that says "Consumer Whore"). Matt Groening even sued someone for using his rabbit character. Some of them are pretty funny too.

This is like the shit that got DJ Danger Mouse on the news for making The Grey Album.

lithium Guest
    I like it. Cool site.

Got a link for "The Grey Album" off that site.

Good stuff.

4. I found it the otherway. Found the Grey Album which led me to this site. Amazing remix project, and it really works.

I guess I don't see the "point"... I'm having trouble considering someone that uses another person's character designs an artist. Perhaps it's a form of protest, but I think the general message of "CORPORATIONS = BAD!" has been done to death; most of us get the point.

Using a major artist's copywrited designs in your own work isn't rebellious, it's dumb; like shooting at a police officer so that you can protest the corruption within the police force.

6. Most of it just seems like jokes that people got sued over for using copywrited characters. That'spretty easy to spin it into something more than it really is. Some of it is really good work though (like the mickey gas mask).

7. If all these jokes are non-profit, then I don't see where the copyright owners even have the right to press charges.

They afraid it'll tarnish their image or something?
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    They afraid it'll tarnish their image or something?
    I imagine so. One of the images, "Wally Wood", was turned into a poster, and some of the other ones may have been used for profit as well.

9. The one that uses Calvin to piss on chevy/ford logos is kinda disgraceful. I like jokes, but not when people do this to make a buck.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"