Thread: Final Cut Pro and Compressor problem

1. Final Cut Pro and Compressor problem

Here's the scoop. I installed Final Cut Pro along with Compressor and all of the other applications that are included with the program a few weeks ago. I never had to use Compressor until now, so I think I only opened up the program once or so. It opened fine at the open.

Since then I've had to uninstall and reinstall FCP, and lately I have not been able to open Compressor. Double-click, and then nothing. It just does not open.

I've read that Compressor does not work if you have an ethernet cable plugged in, so I unplugged it and gave it another go. Nothing. I've reinstalled Compressor [along with FCP] about a hundred times and Compressor still refuses to open.

Not good.

Anyone?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Click_Stick
    Here's the scoop. I installed Final Cut Pro along with Compressor and all of the other applications that are included with the program a few weeks ago. I never had to use Compressor until now, so I think I only opened up the program once or so. It opened fine at the open.

Since then I've had to uninstall and reinstall FCP, and lately I have not been able to open Compressor. Double-click, and then nothing. It just does not open.

I've read that Compressor does not work if you have an ethernet cable plugged in, so I unplugged it and gave it another go. Nothing. I've reinstalled Compressor [along with FCP] about a hundred times and Compressor still refuses to open.

Not good.

Anyone?
    1) FCP is installed to the /Applications directory, right?

2) You checked for FCP updates with Software Update?

3) Go to /Users/your user name/Library/Preferences. Pull the FCP prefs out to the desktop or somewhere else you'll remember. Log out, log back in, and see if that works.

4) If that doesn't work, create a new user and see if FCP will run properly with the new user. If it does, you'll need to toss all of your important documents and whatnot into the /Users/your user name/Public directory. Jot down prefs and whatnot because you'll need to put many of them back in with the new user.

5) If step 4 doesn't work, you may need to run a hardware test. If your machine came with a DVD for software restore/install, that disc has the hardware test on it, otherwise it's a seperate CD. To boot to the hardware test you need to put the disc in and restart while holding down "Option". Once the watch goes away, select the hardware test (if it gives a choice between "OF" and "OS", pick the "OF" one) then click on the arrow key.

6) As a last resort, you could reinstall the OS. Make sure to archive and install with the option for "Preserve Users & Network Settings" enabled.

If you're not comfortable doing any of those steps, I'd take it to an Apple Store or Reseller.

3. #1 - #4, nothing. Not even gonna mess with those other options...

Eh, I suppose it doesn't matter too much. I'll just use FCP's internal compression options.

4. I would jot down some advanced plist manipulation but it would take far too long. Did you buy the machine online, at an Apple Store or a local Reseller?