Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Hearts...

1. Shadow Hearts...

So I'm totally digging this game - it's SO twisted yet hilarious at the same time...I reached Zhaoyang (sp?) Village - the one with the cannibals. I had a creepy feeling when those two kids showed up at the gates (Look! A juicy woman!) then Yuri says "Let us in or I'll kick your scrawny little asses!" TOO funny. And what the hell - Alice pummels enemies with her BOOK??!!?? I'm laffin - that never gets old.

Despair, I'm sure you'll make your way in here - I've got a question. How do you tell what class your enemies are, during a battle? Or is it trial & error when you meet them the first time? And do you recommend I buy a lot of stuff from the merchants, or will I get enough items through combat?

BTW - the transformation of the village was straight outta Silent Hill, and the more I play SH, the more I'm reminded of Parasite Eve.

I absolutely love the graveyard, and the premise behind it. So, so strange...the atmosphere in this game is really unique, almost like Evil Dead, but not as goofy...

I posted a SH thread on an anime site, and most people who responded said they hated it because of the Judgement Wheel, which actually requires skill (albeit not much) to operate. The Wheel's what makes combat so fun!! I guess they want all RPGs to follow the same mold...*sigh*...

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. Dammit, I'm hearing too many good things about this game. I guess I'll have to try it...good thing I just got paid today!

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Yeah, give it a try, Dolemite. I was hugely surprised by how enjoyable it is, more so because I've played like 3 RPGs in my life - I don't like em usually. I really think it's getting overlooked because of its differences, when its differences are IMO what makes it so cool.

Hmm picked this up last week at Toys R Us for $29.99 but I also have Koudelka which should I play first? I believe the two are loosly connected.

Korian

5. Actually, what you just said just made the game sound all the more appealing to me- like you, I've played a limited number of RPGs- while I like the concept, I have trouble seeing a 40-60 hour game through to the end, especially when there's TONS of annoying random combat. I really have to check this game out. I really like the era it's set in- it seems to be Victorian times, correct?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Well, I've not played Koudelka, but according to Despair (who has) and from what I've read, Shadow Hearts is sort of the sequel to it. So I guess play Koudelka first...? *shrugs* I don't think you need to play Koudelka first though...

edit: Dolemite, the game's set in an alternate reality 1913. The game begins on a steam engine, and I've seen screenshots of firearms...pretty cool.

Originally posted by Korian
    Hmm picked this up last week at Toys R Us for $29.99 but I also have Koudelka which should I play first? I believe the two are loosly connected.
    *Heads to TRU*

8. where's despair? he should be all over this one.

9. Well, Glad to be missed

Good to hear that you enjoying SH Bio Its definately one of more unique rpgs on the market.

I love how the character do combo attackes instead of just one regular hit like in other rpgs. Like Yuri starting with punches, and then proceding with various kicks.

Alice fighting style of using huge Bible is also great.

I love how it combines dark themes with character humor. Later in the village they will be talking about eating Alice. And Yuri replies:
    The ONly person who will be eating her out, would be him"

I also like how you can manage power of your weapons with use of accupuncture. There are 2 different types, one increases the weapon power, and other increases hit are. They are costly, but well worth it.

The Accupuncture guy is also blast. Hes gay, and hes coming ups on Yuri are hillarious.

I love Yuri abilities to transform into different monster souls. He starts with only dark one, but then his collection will grow to 20 different mosters. Once you get first Fire soul, keep using it, as it one of the more powerful ones, and has great spells, like Ignition that makes Yuri 30 % more powerfull, and after that just proceed with pummeling your enemies with regular Yuri attacks for great damage.

Earlier in the game, in the next town, you will be able to get earrings, 2 different kinds, one increases money you get in the fights, and other increases chances of getting special items. Get both if you will have enough money, they are worth it.

As for now just stock up on some items, like various seeds (life, sp and magic) to help you during combat.

I will come back little later and post some more tips and comments about this game.

Lst thing to say, if you dont have it now, go and get it today
    You Dolemite especially

10. OK cool, but go easy on the spoilers, willya?